This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel version updates and Update-grub not finding newer choices

I have asked about the different kernels before - but now I have a new question...

Today, when I updated a new kernel version was installed - 2.6.32-24.38. But grub.cfg after update-grub still shows only 2.6.32-22 and -21. This made me curious so I looked harder. Here's what's present on my system today accroding to synaptic:
    linux-headers-2.6.32-21
    linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic
    linux-headers-2.6.32-22
    linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic
    linux-headers-2.6.32-22-preempt
    linux-headers-2.6.32-23
    linux-headers-2.6.32-23-generic
    linux-headers-2.6.32-24
    linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic
    linux-headers-generic
    linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic
    linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic
    In my root directory I have:
    initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
    initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
    vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic
    vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
    and in /usr/src I have:
    linux-headers-2.6.32-21/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-22/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-22-preempt/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-23/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-23-generic/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-24/
    linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic/
    nvidia-current-195.36.24/
    vboxnetflt-3.1.6@
    vboxdrv-3.1.6@
    vboxnetadp-3.1.6@
    Obviously, I have more kernels than I'm able to use. My questions are:

1. Why isn't update-grub picking up the newer kernels? I realize that grub2 isn't quite right yet but I'm surprised it isn't finding the kernels on my main install.

2. If I wish to use a different kernel, which packages need to be installed? The package description for "linux-image..." says
    You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install
    the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work
    correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.
    If I install that package (linux-image-generic) will that fix #1 and allow me to boot to all the kernels or will is remove the older ones automatically?

3. Since the only kernels being detected are the two with the linux-image package installed and are also the two linked in the root directory - is this the answer to #1

4. Assuming I eventually figure this out, will I have to uninstall and re-install my nvidia drivers everytime I try a different kernel or a kernel update occurs?

My only real concern is since I use the nvidia driver - I don't want to bork my install just to play with a new kernel.

If I'm going to have to go through video driver installs monthly or weekly - I'd rather just stay with my current kernel.

Please Read Me

Re: Kernel version updates and Update-grub not finding newer choices

you are corect in assumeing that the onley Kernels that grub will load ar the ones that have an
    entry of vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic (the Kernel) and initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic along with the corasponding config,System.map,vmcoreinfo and abi.

in the /boot DIR

perhaps the upgrade dident go thrugh OR the rest of it wasent readey yet.

so all you got were the inux-headers.....so far.

as for the nvidia driver I dont have nvidia GPU's so I'm not shure but I have seen posts that a new Kernel requiers a reinstall of the driver IF you use the proprietarey driver....I think

you can pin the kernel ver. so it dosent get updated.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: Kernel version updates and Update-grub not finding newer choices

As vinnywright pointed out, you seem to have only the kernel headers installed for the newest version, and not the actual kernel (image). When you install the actual image (linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic), grub will pick it up.

You should definitely install "linux-image-generic" (or "linux-image") package, these metapackages always depend on the latest available kernel-image, so you'll get the latest image installed with upgrades. And the metapackages won't remove older kernels, that's your job (if you wish to do so).

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      4. Assuming I eventually figure this out, will I have to uninstall and re-install my nvidia drivers everytime I try a different kernel or a kernel update occurs?
      I don't use propietary drivers, but I seem to recall that if your drivers are installed from the repositories, you don't have to reinstall...if you have manually installed them, you probably have to reinstall the driver.
      My only real concern is since I use the nvidia driver - I don't want to bork my install just to play with a new kernel.
      As long as you don't remove the older (working) kernel, you can safely try out a new one. If your video driver doesn't work...you can still boot with the older one.

Comment

Working...
      X