This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installation broken

I just installed 10.4 on the weekend and everything was going ok except i was trying to configure Xinerama with my 2 monitors. I had a very difficult time with the ATI gui and it seems to be in conflict with the xandrtray app. Anyway after much fiddling around including some minor editing of xorg.conf the whole system stopped booting. I did a new install beside the the old one and i am trying to edit/or delete files from the old directory but it wont let me. Is there any way you can get write access to another install on the same drive?

Re: installation broken

press alt>F2 then type

Code:
    kdesudo dolphin
    in the box that pops up.
    now you have a root dolphin and can do whatever you like
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      Code:
      kdesudo dolphin
      Be very, very careful with that. It is possible to hose your system quite easily when working with root.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thanks Vinny, I think i knew that but forgot.
        And Telengard, I will be careful but the system is already hosed.

Comment

I couldn't use kdesudo dolphin because it says it couldn't connect to the X server, so i went to the directory and deleted the modified xorg.conf file on command line. Then I rebooted and it worked. But after removing the ATI proprietary driver I still couldn't configure my dual monitors on that installation. I can, however, do it on the new installation using krandr without the ati drivers. So I will abandon the old installation but maybe this will help someone else having similar trouble.

Comment

Working...
          X