This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recovery required on read-only filesystem

ext4 boot partition and I'm getting this on every boot - over about the past week or so. I'm reasonably certain the drive is good as it's on a six-month old netbook.

Jul 24 04:58:51 wizard-netbook kernel: [ 2.891225] EXT4-fs (sda1): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
    Jul 24 04:58:51 wizard-netbook kernel: [ 2.891366] EXT4-fs (sda1): write access will be enabled during recovery
    Jul 24 04:58:51 wizard-netbook kernel: [ 6.380208] EXT4-fs (sda1): recovery complete
    Jul 24 04:58:51 wizard-netbook kernel: [ 6.380696] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode

fstab shows

# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=5b95e3e3-12a5-40fc-85c8-a00b80b96c97 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /home was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=ace0cbda-881b-47e9-b8cb-b42d9d86bdf7 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    # swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=efd86d82-9ad0-4973-a3ba-20fecd26e2ac none swap sw 0 0

so I think I see what's causing it, but does anybody have an idea here? fsck from a live CD shows no errors on the disk but then I can boot the machine and still get the error.

edit: More info.

fsck -NV from my lubuntu live USB shows no errors on the disk and after it's run the machine will boot without error *once*. Strange.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: recovery required on read-only filesystem

Sounds like /dev/sda1 is not being sync'd during shutdown. Maybe there is a bug and an error during the shutdown is causing init to abend before syncing the disks.

Try shutting down with sysrq rseiub and see if the error occurs on next boot.

Comment

Re: recovery required on read-only filesystem

Originally posted by skunk
      Sounds like /dev/sda1 is not being sync'd during shutdown. Maybe there is a bug and an error during the shutdown is causing init to abend before syncing the disks.

Try shutting down with sysrq rseiub and see if the error occurs on next boot.
      Maybe you're onto something. Shutdown throws a message that says / is busy.

thanks!
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
      X