This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is becoming unuseful

(I hope i'm not in the wrong section....)

Hi all,

i used to work with the latest release of Kubuntu and i found it really nice, but it unexpectedly started to be unable to accomplish very basic operations. First, it stopped to recognize and mount usb disk drives (even if my usb ports are ok as I'm still using printers, mouse, etc...) and last but not least, I cannot connect to internet anymore, neither from cable nor wireless (it happened after I restored a session from Hibernate status).

I run my os on an Acer Travelmate 4060. I use it mostly for software development, so the most of my installations were about the node.js framework and some software from github, but I can't directly associate my installations with my troubles

I'm in a real trouble, as the only way to escape it is to re-install kubuntu with the loss of all data...

Any idea?

Thanks

Re: Kubuntu is becoming unuseful

Originally posted by balanza
    I'm in a real trouble, as the only way to escape it is to re-install kubuntu with the loss of all data...
    No, no, no! Even if you must reinstall Kubuntu, you can keep all your data. The data will not be lost until you erase it yourself. You should choose two or more of these options to backup your data:
    • floppy disks
    • optical media (ie CD-R, DVD-R)
    • flash memory stick
    • external hard disk (ie USB, Firewire)
    • internal hard disk on a secondary channel
    • network share on a LAN computer
    • upload to secure remote storage

Even if Kubuntu is broken, you can still boot a live CD to get a working system and get your data backed up.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Telengard is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

Please, please, please BACKUP YOUR DATA TO AN EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE before attempting to perform ANY system maintenance on any computer. This rule dates back (in my experience) to the IBM 704. It has saved my tail more times than I can count.

Stop! Do not pass GO until you have a USB thumb drive (or something similar) in hand. This holds true, not only, for reinstallation, but even for daily upgrades. Although something less drastic (like backing up recently changed files) is all you need to do daily.

Comment

ok ok i've just put some tragedy in it, don't worry

by the way, i've solved the ntwork problem, now it's all about the usb...

Comment

I've never used Node, (and haven't done very much at all with js), but it has been my experience that if some usb devices work and some others don't, it's probably a cable or connector problem. On my machine, some devices (typically, those needing usb power) will not work on some usb connectors, and will on others. You could try opening up your case, and cleaning things up, but that may be no more effective than plugging and unplugging things.

How did you solve your network problem?

Comment

ok ok i've just put some tragedy in it, don't worry

by the way, i've solved the ntwork problem, now it's all about the usb...
            Do you have problems only with usb hard drives or flash drives as well? What happens when you plug them in. What does 'dmesg' report?
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              How did you solve your network problem?
              i've looked backward in the forum: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6106#msg236106

Originally posted by askrieger
              I've never used Node
              i've mentioned it 'cause to run the node environment it needs to install a lot of stuff (from the node core to the git repositories....). I've guessed it could be beacause of that.

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
                Do you have problems only with usb hard drives or flash drives as well? What happens when you plug them in. What does 'dmesg' report?
                all my usb devices are:
                • hp printer
                • optical mouse
                • external hard drive
                • flash drive

the first two work very fine, the last two no (note they're both memory stuff)

Comment

What does 'dmesg' report?
                  Here's what is shown after put an usb-flash memory inside:

Code:
                  [39047.540072] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
                  [39047.673102] usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                  [39047.676281] scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
                  [39047.700793] usb-storage: device found at 4
                  [39047.700797] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
                  [39052.700346] usb-storage: device scan complete
                  [39052.700867] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access   CHIPSBNK USB 2.0     5.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
                  [39052.706224] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
                  [39052.708694] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 1020416 512-byte logical blocks: (522 MB/498 MiB)
                  [39052.709190] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
                  [39052.709198] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
                  [39052.709204] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                  [39052.725906] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                  [39052.725915] sdb: sdb1
                  [39052.730034] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                  [39052.730041] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

Comment

I also surfed this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...B#Automounting
                    It sounds to be helpful, but I guess there's something which is gnome-only:
                    To enable or disable automount open a terminal and type gconf-editor followed by the [Enter] key.

Browse to /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount.
                    I've found neither gfconf-editor nor /apps folder. The same in KDE?

Comment

What does 'dmesg' report?
                      Here's what is shown after put an usb-flash memory inside:

Code:
                      [39047.540072] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
                      [39047.673102] usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                      [39047.676281] scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
                      [39047.700793] usb-storage: device found at 4
                      [39047.700797] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
                      [39052.700346] usb-storage: device scan complete
                      [39052.700867] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access  CHIPSBNK USB 2.0     5.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
                      [39052.706224] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
                      [39052.708694] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 1020416 512-byte logical blocks: (522 MB/498 MiB)
                      [39052.709190] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
                      [39052.709198] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
                      [39052.709204] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                      [39052.725906] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                      [39052.725915] sdb: sdb1
                      [39052.730034] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                      [39052.730041] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
                      That 'dmesg' output is almost identical to mine. What is on that flash drive? Can Windows read it? Can you format it or is there stuff on there you need. If you have a livecd tyr booting off that and then insert the flash drive and see what happens.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                      X