This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Problems in 10.04

I don't know if anybody else has had similar problems to mine in the past, but if so please help. Whenever I boot up my laptop, my standard "Asus" splashscreen appears and then freezes there and refuses to go further(this happens when I use the restart feature from Kubuntu). I then proceed to restart one more time, and then I am taken to a command line boot screen with no commands for about 2 minutes. It is after that I am finally greeted with a "Kubuntu" graphic and then goes back to a empty command line. I can finally get to the user login after that completes. Overall the process takes about 3-4 minutes just to get to login screen. How could I fix this or how should I go about it?
    Asus Notebook x83V-X1: Intel Core2Duo x64 @ 2.3ghz, 4gb DDR2 Ram, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS, 320gb HDD<br />Kubuntu 10.04 LucidLynx x64

Re: Boot Problems in 10.04

You should do the simple stuff first.
    Get a new disk. If you downloaded it find a fresh Cdr/cdrw and download the OS again. Also I recommend having the disk sent to you in the mail. Something is probably corrupted in the boot files. Then re-install with the new disk. Make sure you check the disk for errors before installing.
    I&#39;ve been Shot, Stabbed, and have been afraid for my life. There isn&#39;t much you can do to me that hasn&#39;t already been done.

Comment

Do you get a Grub screen? Is this a dual boot? Where did you install Grub?

Comment

Take a look at the contents of a file called /var/log/dmesg. It is a list of time-stamped messages that are logged as your system boots up. There should be a couple of these, showing recent boot-ups. The older ones will be gzipped to save space. On my system, there is a delay between 7.2412 seconds into my most recent boot-up and 13.17512 sec. while my detachable drive comes up, but other than that nothing of interest. Look for large gaps of that type, that you can't explain.

There is also file in the /var/log/ directory called "syslog". It records recent events that (the developers thought) were significant enough to log. These are mainly things like "cron jobs", (scheduled maintenance tasks), ntp (network time protocol) updates of your system clock, and other such trivia, but if something goes wrong, you may see some evidence of it here.

Possibly, the most important, because it flags errors, is a file called xorg.failsafe.log (or something like that). Look for entries labeled (WW) and (EE). My only (WW) is a warning that I don't have cyrillic fonts installed (which I knew, since "ya nie gavahryu po-russki"). If I had a (EE) message, I would be concerned enough to post it here.

Comment

Working...
        X