This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZTE MF112 mobile broadband dongle on 3 network on 10.04 netbook

A colleague has 10.04 Netbook distro installed on an ASUS 900 and we are trying to get mobile broadband on the UK 3 network. The dongle is a ZTE MF112. According to various posts on the Net, this should work straight out of the box on Lucid Lynx, provided the right data is used in the Network widget. This is a "composite" device which acts as both a USB memory stick and a dongle, the memory stick bit containing the configuration utilities for Windows and MAC, which autorun on login and then hand over to the dongle side once configuration has been done. On Linux, it starts as a USB memory stick and you have to eject it via Dolphin file manager to allow it to be seen by the Network widget (the "mobile broadband" tab is greyed out otherwise).

To set up a connection requires various bits of data, including the dongle number (we have that from the SIM), a user name and password (all the posts read so far say that these should both be blank) and the network APN (several posts give this as "three.co.uk"). What we don't have is whether the dongle number should start "0..." or "44..." (unanswered posts query this), what setting for the network preference (3G, 2G or "Any"), and whether we need a PIN and/or PUK code.

What we do have is that two successive eject commands are required to get the memory stick bit to stay unmounted, then the network widget finds the dongle on the right USB, and when the dongle registers a mobile signal, attempts are made to connect, but not successfully. Presumably we don't have correct data in the network widget, any suggestions as to what is missing or wrong would be appreciated.

As an aside, the first attempt to fit the dongle resulted in it auto running up to configure as a Windows device, under Wine, which failed because of problems in displaying elements of the Windows config screens (we did not actually get to trying a connection). The ASUS has since been reinstalled (we got the SSD "disk" configuration wrong and quickly ran out of space!), so we deliberately left Wine off for the moment to avoid confusing things. However, there will be a need for Wine, so once we have the dongle running under Linux, how do we stop the autorun from kicking in with Wine, every time the dongle is inserted?
    "You, sir are no gentleman!"
    "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
    Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
    Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Re: ZTE MF112 mobile broadband dongle on 3 network on 10.04 netbook

Maybe this will help: Re: Zte mf112
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

maybe ... though you may need to amend future posts because the 2005 post you quoted points at ...

http://www.pharscape.org/networkmana...an-modems.html

and pharscape has reorganised his website and the link is now ...

http://www.pharscape.org/networkmana...an-modems.html

our missing bit seems to be ozerocdoff. Keep you posted.

Comment

have you tried using sakis3g?
        I use sakis3g for O2 broadband in Ireland. As for the questions regarding user name/ pass and apn a phone call to you data provider should be able to provide that information for you. As far as using KnetworkManager all you should have to enter is your pin number and dial number. Network preference I recommend using prefer 3G that way 2G will be available in a pinch. The PUK code should not be needed.
        HP Pavilion dv6000 | AMD Turion 64 x2 2Ghz | HDD Toshiba 250 GiB<br />Wireless- Antheros AR5001<br />Dual Boot: Kubuntu 10.4 | Kubuntu 8.10 (bt4)

Comment

A call back to the 3 store revealed that they are aware of difficulties with using their dongles on Linux ... and also an unexpectedly high level of potential customers who use Linux and want mobile broadband ... sufficiently high now for their engineers to be working on Linux drivers ... has only taken since 2005 to get this reaction. In the mean time, the MF112 device has been returned and the contract cancelled.

Now we are looking for recommendations for a UK service provider with a dongle that does (rather than might) work on Linux (Kubuntu 10.04 Netbook), with a reasonable price contract on a reasonable value of download capacity ... this is for work purposes, not entertainment surfing ... the work location is in an area with zero free WiFi, and the commercial WiFi that is available is specifically configured to not like Linux machines (actually it doesn't like any adaptor other the contract type provided with the base station, how's that for a tie-in, and that adaptor does not work with Linux, or ASUS, or anything much else that is not already supplied by the company ...).

All suggestions appreciated.

Comment

With O2 the Huawei E-1752 works great. Their price plan includes 15Gib per month for contract usage. The dongle works in 10.04. I have been using this dongle for months now without problems.
            HP Pavilion dv6000 | AMD Turion 64 x2 2Ghz | HDD Toshiba 250 GiB<br />Wireless- Antheros AR5001<br />Dual Boot: Kubuntu 10.4 | Kubuntu 8.10 (bt4)

Comment

Hi!

I have been using a T-Mobile USB120 dongle with my Ubuntu laptop running Karmic Koala without any trouble for a year now. I do not expect to encounter problems with this dongle when I upgrade to Ubuntu Lucid.

I toss this into the discussion as it is wise to check coverage in expected areas of use before purchase.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

Info passed on, thank you ... need is now not so great because the remotely located job is no longer!

Comment

Working...
                X