Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update to kernel 23 hangs after Grub on splash screen.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to kernel 23 hangs after Grub on splash screen.

Hi, as the post title indicates the update didn't go so well. My system info is in my signature and I'd like to add I'm using a few gnome apps for printing and internet radio as those updates were installed at the same time.
    I can boot in recovery mode and select resume normal boot, to command line. Then startx, every thing boots ok, except there is no "shut down" or "restart" only "log off" taking me back to command line.
    Could someone advise on where to begin diagnosing the issue, please.
    Intel E6500 CPU - 4Gb Ram- Asus EN9500GT 1Gb GPU....

Re: Update to kernel 23 hangs after Grub on splash screen.

Just did the update ( kernel, Thunderbird,...) this morning.

On my older HP desktop, something happened to the file system that made the drive read only - apps complained that they could not write their rc files.

ran dpkg --configure -a , and this complained the kernel files were not completely configured.

Rebooted, and the system fixed the file system, but came up to the command line.

I logged in, ran startx, and x.org complained that it encountered errors.

Rebooted to the last kernel, and got the system back.

Will have to have some info to fix the last kernel update, since it is now logged as installed in dpkg.

Or, until a fix, point GRUB to the last kernel.

Ran the update on my newer Acer 5532 laptop, and the update worked ok.

Comment

M8 none of what you posted relates to the issue I posted, as dpkg was the first thing i used to try to fix the issue. My issue is the kernel is there and works once you get into it, it was just that I had to jump through hoops and over monkey bars to get in and I wanted to get back to using the front door.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a kdm issue.

If you are using synaptic as a package manager you will have a reinstall option when you select a package within it. I would say the 2 prime candidates for reinstallation are:

kdm
        kubuntu-desktop

HTH

Comment

k

Comment

Working...
          X