X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde 4 dont start

Hi all,
    I have kubuntu lucid on my laptop (acer travelmate 5620 with nvidia GeForce Go 7300 video card).

Well, I have the problem after grub... I see for short moment plymouth and than the screen coming black and i can't login, I must reboot my system....
    When my system hanging with black screen however I can connect whit ssh on it from remote machine, and Xorg.0.log display the following error:

Code:
    grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (EE) Jun 22 09:33:48 NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate primary buffer: out of memory.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    This is a random problem...
    After many reboot I can see kubuntu login, and I have not the previous error.
    However, some time, also after kubuntu login my system hanging on splashscreen > and
    I can't login from ssh on my laptop... I can only poweroff my laptop.....

hum....

Re: kde 4 dont start

sounds like a video card driver issue to me , did you install the properitary driver for your card prior to this behavior?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, I have installed the proprietary driver (version 195.36.24)

Comment

if this happened after you installed the driver, perhaps you might want to remove it.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hum... this is not a solution.... I want to use proprietary driver.... without nvidia driver I can't use dual screen mode!

Comment

Originally posted by paolinuz

(EE) Jun 22 09:33:48 NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate primary buffer: out of memory.

This is a random problem...
            After many reboot I can see kubuntu login, and I have not the previous error.
            I hate to just say "it's a hardware problem" -- I know that is not helpful. But, "out of memory" and "randomly happens" does not really sound like software, does it?

If your hard drive is not spinning up as fast as was originally designed to, for example, then a cold boot might not work, but a hot reboot might work.

Comment

Working...
            X