Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu Initial Install - 2nd Phase - Cannot Open Theme File...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Initial Install - 2nd Phase - Cannot Open Theme File...

Computer Information
    Brand: Acer TravelMate 4070 Model ZL9
    I operate on Kubuntu 10.40 and am quite happy with it, I am trying to install it on another computer and I can get it to perform phase 1 (partitioning, etc.), when it comes to rebooting I get to the GNU GRUB it lists:

Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-22-generic (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-22-generic (recovery mode)
    Memory test (memtest86+)
    Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
    Windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sda1)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda2)

-I select the first Ubuntu.
    -After a moment it loads the normal blue loading Kubuntu screen followed directly by a popup that reads "Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/ethais".
    -I click "ok".
    -The screen goes black... nothing follows that until I go to hard reboot, when I press my power button the screen briefly changes back to the Kubuntu loading screen (which gives me false hope everytime)
    -System turns off

This is my first time using a GNU/Linux system but I am pretty familiar with DOS and am comfortable working in the shell but I am an infant there and have no clue what I am doing. Ummm I hope I have covered all the obvious stuff.... I am grateful for whatever input, advice or knowledge you can impart.

Thank you for helping~!

P.S. - Ubuntu and the rest of the family (Ku, Xu, and Lu) rock! Awesome job to those who helped make it!!

Re: Kubuntu Initial Install - 2nd Phase - Cannot Open Theme File...

there is a solution for that here. i can't seam to find it atm, but basicly you need to edit (from your shell) the kdmrc file, and change the theme to be empty (or use another one that u have) the path for kdmrx IIRC is /etc/kde4/kdm (edit as root in text editor i.e sudo nano <path>) look for the line that says "usetheme" and set it to false. then restart kdm (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart). hope that helps.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
    X