This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passwords

Hi all, I'm new to all this and need a little help!
    First, I have installed Kubuntu and am able to boot up using my username and password.No Probs.
    But now when I go to use the wireless connection it prompts me for the secuity password every time, then a screen comes up and says that kde wallet wants access and enter the password. I enter my login password and it comes up error nine. What gives? should I be using another password?

Also, I installed this on a new partition so I can keep vista for the time being, and now the dual boot screen has kubuntu and its recovery mode showing twice. Is this normal
    Cheers!

Re: passwords

Hi and welcome

Yes the kwallet password is entirely separate from your login password. I would have 2 different passwords for security purposes.

If you go into kmenu /system settings /wallet manager (or it may be that you have to select the advanced tab and then wallet manager) you can reset the password.

Once you have done that, logout and login again and when you get the wallet prompt for the network manager type in your password and choose the "always allow" function.

As you haven't yet succesfully connected to the wireless, you'll probably have to enter your wireless security again. If after that you cannot connect, then your issue may be the network manager itself. Whilst it works fine for me, it's not flawless and others have had problems. There is an alternative you can use but before we discuss that let's see if we can get you off the ground now.

Comment

Thanks for that.I tried your suggestion but in wallet manager there does not appear to be any option to change or apply a password! I've got the internet up by turning off wallet manager! My thought was to maybe reinstall kubuntu and start from scratch!
      Any advice much appreciated

Comment

On my home machine now....
        system settings/advanced/kde wallet then launch wallet manager.

A box will launch showing the wallet - open it. You will then see a list of apps that use the wallet manager. When you see that select file/change password.

As you have already discovered, you can turn it off too!

Glad you are up and running.

Ps - I find I have the wallet system disabled too, I remember it drove me mad to have to type the password in to connect to the wireless

Comment

this may not be what you are looking for but if you when prompted the first time to create a password for your "wallet" you can leave it blank and it will never bother you for a password again, you should at that point only get prompts when a new application wants to access the wallet. also if you messed up your wallet you can delete it w/ the wallet manager and start w/ a new one.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X