X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial (COM) ports in 10.04

Hi all
    I am a complete newbie to Linux.
    I have installed Kubuntu 10.04 from the CD to a "clean" 80Gb hard disk which I have set the Bios to boot from (No MS Windows).
    Most seems to work fine, I have network access, USB, CD roms etc.
    I cannot find any serial (COM) ports.
    Is there some magic setting to enable serial ports that I cannot find? Or should they have been enabled by default?
    Is there some way of viewing the state of all peripherals as with MS Windows?
    I have some other issues with the set up but I will approach them one at a time!

PC: AMD Athlon XP+ 1833Mhz, 2Gb RAM, nvidia FX5200 w/256MB. 2x80GB ATA disks (One for Windows)

Thank you
    Keith
    AMD Athlon II Quad core 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB graphics, 1x370GB sata HDD, 1x700GB sata HDD, 1xDVDRW, 1xDVDROM

Re: Serial (COM) ports in 10.04

Welcome.

Do you have any serial devices connected to your serial ports?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog
      I am trying to use JMRI Decoder Pro with a Lenz USB interface which requires a COM port number
      However I get a 'no serial ports found' error.
      On Windows XP at this stage I have a choice of COM ports to select from.

The USB lead is plugged in.
      I posted here rather than the JMRI Forum as it seems to be more likely that I haven't got the PC set up properly yet!

Keith
      AMD Athlon II Quad core 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB graphics, 1x370GB sata HDD, 1x700GB sata HDD, 1xDVDRW, 1xDVDROM

Comment

Further to my reply, the USB interface is not recognized by Kubuntu when it is plugged in although another USB device I have is.

EDIT: I have downloaded the FTDI linux drivers and extracted them, as the Lenz usb interface has an FTDI RS232 to USB chip inside. (I remember having to load these drivers in Windows before anything happens.)
        How do I implement them, There is C code and C header plus a makefile and notes.

Keith

Comment

More:
          I have now checked through the logfiles and found that the system seems to have detected the 16650A Uart and set up serial ports - but I still can't find them!!!

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by melmerby
            I posted here rather than the JMRI Forum as it seems to be more likely that I haven't got the PC set up properly yet!
            IMHO I would be really surprised if Kubuntu/linux didn't have your serial ports set up. I think your question might be answered in the forum for the software/driver. Good luck.
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
            X