This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Kubuntu 10.04 hangs at boot as VirtualBox guest on Win7 host

Install goes fine and system comes up after the first boot and am able to update system and install new apps, but just hangs on subsequent boots at the Kubuntu boot splash screen. Using Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.4 fails the same on both AMD HP desktop and Lenovo Intel laptop. Fedora 13, FreeBSD 8.1, PC-BSD 8.1 and OpenSolaris work fine.

This could very well be a problem of the object in front of the keyboard, but I would like to get it up and running.

TIA

Re: Help: Kubuntu 10.04 hangs at boot as VirtualBox guest on Win7 host

I had the same issue with my installation (Kubuntu 10.04.1 running in VirtualBox 3.2.8 under Win7). It would install correctly, but the first boot from the virtual drive would hang on the splash screen. After much figuring out, I ended up needing to remove the "splash" parameter passed by GRUB to the kernel. It doesn't exhibit the same problem with Ubuntu 10.04.1. Findings posted at http://peterwong.net/blog/?p=110

Comment

Perhaps you should try it the other way around. I run Windoze 7 under LL 10.04 without any problems using Virtualbox. Good luck.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

I had this very same issue and for some odd reason, I went into settings and checked the system page and "Enable IO APIC" was unchecked. Putting a check in that box made sure every boot was fine thereafter *but* for some reason it unchecked itself at some point. Check that out and see if that could be the issue.

Comment

I had the same issue. Solved by removing the "splash" parameter passed to the kernel.
          Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Comment

Working...
          X