Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Monitor resolutions not being retained on reboot (RESOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI

A really simple one I think. I have a dual monitor system one larger than the other, which I have setup up no problem, but on reboot the resolutions and monitor placement settings that I have set under system settings > display are not retained.

Does anyone have any fixes for this.

Thanks

Re: Monitor resolutions not being retained on reboot

Hi

I have continued to look for an answer for this, clearly the monitor resolutions are not being written to a file or are being over written, anybody want to help me with what file that might be and where it is.

Cheers

Comment

The only people who can help with this are the programmers who wrote the system. What have they done to KDE to break it like this? I would think because monitors are so cheap now many many people will have at least two. And many many people will leave Kubuntu because of this. It's back to openSuse 11.2 and my dual display for me. Really disappointed

Comment

This is an annoying problem I (and many others) have had since KDE4 was introduced.

The fix I was recommended and which worked fine for me is as follows:

Open a command prompt and type: xrandr

This should produce an output similar to the following:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 68
        default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
        1024x768 75.0* 70.0 60.0
        832x624 75.0
        800x600 60.0 75.0 72.0 56.0
        640x480 60.0 75.0 73.0
        320x240 75.0 73.0 60.0
        640x512 75.0 60.0
        576x432 75.0
        512x384 75.0 70.0 60.0
        416x312 75.0
        400x300 75.0 72.0 60.0 56.0

The important bit is what is in bold above. This will vary from machine to machine, on mine it is default but could be VGA-0, VGA-1 or DVI-0 - whatever.

Assuming the desired resolution is in the list, enter the following in the terminal window:

xrandr --output XXXX --mode aaaxbbb where XXXX is default, VGA-0 or whatever and aaaxbbb is the desired resolution from the list such as 1024x768. This should immediately switch resolution to the desired value.

Assuming this command works, edit the command into /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup which runs with root privileges at boot time. You must be root to edit the Xsetup file. There may be additional flickering and screen flashing at startup but don't worry about this.

Good Luck !

Comment

Hi Phil1349

Thanks ever-so for the advice, this has sorted out one part of the problem ie keeping the screen res after a reboot, any idea how to keep the config of the screen positions ie for my DVI-0 to appear to the right of VGA-0

I have set this using the display settings gui but this does not hold after a reboot either.

Once again thanks

Sam

Comment

Hi Samsung,

Sorry, cannot really help on this as I have no experience on running 2 monitors. It may be worth you looking into the other options available to the xrandr command - man xrandr typed into a terminal window will give this. I cannot see why there should not be more than 1 xrandr command executed at boot time.

Maybe part of the problem is that previously, all display configuration was done in Xorg.conf, now it looks like that more is being done in the configuration files in /etc/kde4/kdm directory. I wish they would not do things like this but I suppose that is "progress".

Good luck !!

Comment

Thanks Phil 1349,

So Ichecked out the MAN pages of xrandr and you were right there is a command line argument to place a screen in relation to another. I followed your example given above re the screen resolutions and amended the line in my xsetup file to read

xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --right-of VGA-0

And now viewing perfection.

Thank you Phil1349 for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X