This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ubuntu -> kubuntu conversion but problems with gdm->gdm

I have a computer with two user accounts (for my son). It was setup with ubuntu but he prefers KDE (which Dad uses, via sidux). So after persistent requests, I installed kde-desktop and kde works quite nicely. gdm stayed as the default display manager, though. There is no "shutdown" option available when trying to leave KDE. I thought this may be due to gdm, so I did dpkg-reconfigure kdm to change the default display manager. However, from this point, things start to go very wrong. my sons's account reverts to a gnome session. My account is really broken, no panels, and no title bars on windows, it's almost like a bare X session.
    Changing back to gdm gets me back to well working kde sessions for both accounts, the only problem being that there is no shutdown option when trying to leave the session.

Re: ubuntu -> kubuntu conversion but problems with gdm->gdm

Look at "Getting Back to a Pure KDE on Ubuntu" - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

Psychocats removes various things, including gdm and installs kubuntu-desktop
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: ubuntu -> kubuntu conversion but problems with gdm->gdm

Thanks, I'll check that out. My problem was extremely easy to fix; I wasn't used to the kdm theme but I found the menu, and of course it was not defaulting to a kde session. Why dpkg-reconfigure kdm does not default to kde is another question ... anyway, a quick fix. kubuntu looks pretty good, I have to say. I am starting to get a little bit impressed by 10.04 (ubuntu and kubuntu)

Comment

Working...
      X