This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid is really trying my patience!!

Upgraded from 9.10 no worries, all went smooth, However a few short minutes after logging in and starting up Firefox the screen goes blue (the same color as the start up splash screen though with a garbled and illegible Kubuntu logo) then black and into a syntax screen asking me to log in. A fair bit of syntax rolls across the screen after it dies, some of which is:

-Setting sensor limits
    -Checking battery state
    -Common Unix print system

There's also something about App armour.

There's also no consistency to when it dies, just randomly. Have started it up just to have it black screen before the log in tune gets to start, and other times have surfed the net listened to music etc for hours until it black screens. Has been getting better the more updates I do, but now even the update manager won't proceed because it's "Waiting for package manager lock" and sits there doing nothing.

Am typing this hoping it doesn't black screen on me again!!

Has become very annoying and unstable. 9.10 was a dream to use.......

btw, I don't have any graphics enhancements turned on either, it as is out of the box.

Re: Lucid is really trying my patience!!

Originally posted by cam77

a few short minutes after logging in and starting up Firefox the screen goes blue (the same color as the start up splash screen though with a garbled and illegible Kubuntu logo) then black and into a syntax screen asking me to log in

There's also no consistency to when it dies, just randomly.
    Although there may be something about Kubuntu that is inducing it to fail, it sounds like a hardware issue at the root cause. Maybe a weakening power supply, maybe a memory module or GPU -- hard to say. Something is being stressed, getting hot, and letting go, I think.

Comment

random shot here . . .

I had been experiencing weird and random behavior on a desktop system and two laptops since moving to Kubuntu 10.04, (even looked into switching to KDE on openSuSE). My symptoms, although a bit different from yours, were random system resets, KDM crashes and freezes. Couldn't find much in the logs that was helpful. I search for potential hardware issues, checked and rechecked CPU/hard drives/memory and came up empty handed.

Here is a link my thread and subsequent solution, as recommended by GreyGeek:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112257.0

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      wicd.

Use Synaptic and search for anything with wicd in its name. Install all of them.

THEN, after wicd is installed, using Synaptic remove knetworkmanager, knm-runtime, and everything else with networkmanager in its name. If you leave knetworkmanager or its packages installed it will block wicd from getting a dhcp connection.

Reboot. Then configure wicd.
      I did so on all 3 systems, and have had 20+ hours of event free Kubuntu ecstasy. Hope this helps.

YMMV

Comment

Cheers for the info

tried the following....

I installed all the wcid packages, no problems. However, the following step of removing all the knetwork manager is where it came unstuck. Every time I went to open synaptic, machine just black screened over and over again. It's happened that many times now I can predict when it's going to happen as the hard drive starts grinding away. Have remedied the issue for the time being by swapping out the 40Gb HD with the new 500Gb jobby in my external drive which just so happens to have a stable release of 7.10 on it. PC now works flawlessly and quick, no more endless restarting though I do miss the slick 10.04 gui. Fairly sure it's the old HD that was the culprit so purchasing a new HD to install 10.04 and see how it all goes....

Comment

OK,

After swapping in my other hard drive with 7.10 on it, machine ran flawlessly quick and smooth. After a couple of days a notification comes up for upgrade to 9.10 which I do. Subsequently after the 9.10 upgrade I installed 10.04, and what happens straight after logging into a shiny new 10.04 desktop? it black screens on me again!!!! Followed the below advice of adding wcid and removing all the knetwork manager packages and rebooting only to find when I hit the K menu button, machine black screens over and over. One thing I have noticed is the hard drive is working almost constantly since upgrading from 7.10 and 9.10.

What is the problem with this release?? I've been using Linux since 6.04 and every upgrade I have some small problems but nothing on this scale. I've restarted the machine 6 times in the last 10 minutes.

Comment

Can you please let us have a list of the specs of your computer (Esp graphics card) as it looks like something isn't playing very nicely somewhere.

Also, a few random thoughts:

When you black screen, how do you exit? Is it hard shutdown or do you use Alt and SysRq whilst typing reisub?

I wonder whether the root cause might be something lingering from an earlier install that isn't removed by upgrading alone? Certainly I can envisage iissues going from 7.10/9.10/10.4 especially if you didn't do all available updates before going to 10.4

How did you upgrade to 10.4 - over the net or using the alternate cd as an upgrade source? If the latter, did it burn Okay? Boot with it in the drive and run the CD check.

Have you tried a clean install of 10.4?

Sorry for rambling but if your CD burn is Okay I really do see a clean install of 10.4 to be the most likely solution to this.

Ian

Comment

the hard drive activity is probably the initial file indexing for strigi - you can disable that from System Settings.

Your X server dieing is pretty serious, and I think something bigger is going on here. System Specs would definitely help, as would trying to look at some of your log files - try out ksystemlog and take a peek at some of the logs it can show you.

Comment

Subsequently after the 9.10 upgrade I installed 10.04, and what happens straight after logging into a shiny new 10.04 desktop? it black screens on me again!!!! Followed the below advice of adding wcid and removing all the knetwork manager packages and rebooting only to find when I hit the K menu button, machine black screens over and over.
                You have proved beyond doubt that the problem has nothing to do with the hard drive. At the risk of being boring, I'm still betting you have a marginal/weak hardware component, as I originally suggested. The new xorg, or some other new modules of KDE 4 are probably pushing it harder than the prior versions. Run memtest overnight, to eliminate the possibility of a bad memory module. The PSU is also a suspect, although that is harder to test -- about all you can do is replace it.

Comment

this is the ksystemlog.....

cam@HP:~$ ksystemlog
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::MainWindow: Starting KSystemLog...
                  ksystemlog(1599) GenericLogModeConfiguration::GenericLogModeConfigu ration: Using Configuration Group : "systemLogMode"
                  ksystemlog(1599) FileList::FileList: Initializing file list...
                  ksystemlog(1599) FileList::FileList: File list initialized
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogLevelFileList::LogLevelFileList: Initializing specific file list...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogLevelFileList::LogLevelFileList: Specific file list initialized
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::MultipleFileList: Initializing multiple file list...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::updateButtons: Updating buttons...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::isFileListsEmpty: Is empty
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::updateButtons: Buttons updated
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::MultipleFileList: Multiple File list initialized
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::updateEmptyItems: Updating empty items...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::updateEmptyItems: Adding empty items...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::addEmptyItem: Adding an empty item...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Apache Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Apache Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::updateEmptyItems: Empty items updated
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Apache Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Apache Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Apache Access Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Apache Access Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) GenericLogModeConfiguration::GenericLogModeConfigu ration: Using Configuration Group : "postfixLogMode"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogLevelFileList::LogLevelFileList: Initializing specific file list...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogLevelFileList::LogLevelFileList: Specific file list initialized
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::MultipleFileList: Initializing multiple file list...
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::MultipleFileList: Multiple File list initialized
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups Access Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups Access Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups Access Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups Access Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups Page Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups Page Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups Page Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups Page Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Cups PDF Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Cups PDF Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Samba Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Samba Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Samba Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Samba Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Samba Access Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Samba Access Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Samba Access Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Samba Access Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Removing empty items of "Netbios Log Files"
                  ksystemlog(1599) MultipleFileList::removeEmptyItems: Empty items of "Netbios Log Files" removed
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::MainWindow: Creating Gui...
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::setupTabLogViews: Creating tab widget...
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::setupActions: Creating actions...
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::MainWindow: Setup Gui...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::createTab: Creating a new tab
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::newTabLogManager: Creating new View...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::newTabLogManager: Creating new LogManager...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::newTabLogManager: New LogManager created
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::newTab: Inserting to a new tab the view
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::changeCurrentTab: Changing current tab...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::changeTab: Changing tab "Empty Log"
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::changeCurrentTab: Current tab changed
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::changeCurrentTab: Tab has changed
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::updateStatusBar: Updating status bar...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::changeTab: Changing tab "Empty Log"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::isParsingPaused: Log manager is not yet initialized

ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::changeCurrentTab: Tab changing done
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow:repareCreatedLogManager: Connecting to actions the new log manager and view...
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::updateStatusBar: Updating status bar...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::load: Loading a new mode : "System Log"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::internalInitialize: Initializing LogManager...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::internalInitialize: Using files ("/var/log/syslog")
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::cleanPreviousLogMode: Cleaning previous LogMode...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::init: Reading local file "/var/log/syslog"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::internalInitialize: LogManager initialized
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::reload: Reloading with log mode "System Log" ...
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::changeTab: Changing tab "System Log"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::reload: Emptying view...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::reload: Initializing view...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::reload: Initializing columns view...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewWidget::setColumns: Updating columns using ("Date", "Host", "Process", "Message") ...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewFilterWidget::updateFilterColumns: Changing columns...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewWidget::setColumns: Log View Widget updated...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::reload: Reading log...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::watchFile: Monitoring file : "/var/log/syslog"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::logFileModified: Locking log file modification...
                  ksystemlog(1599)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
                  ksystemlog(1599)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/home/cam/.local/share/mime/magic"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader:pen: "/var/log/syslog" : "text/plain"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader:pen: Using QFile input device
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::logFileModified: New file or file truncated. (Re-)Loading log file
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::readContent: Retrieving raw buffer...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::readContent: Raw buffer retrieved.
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::readContent: New file position : 309162 ( "/var/log/syslog" )
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::logFileChanged: File "/var/log/syslog" has been modified on full read.
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::logFileChanged: Locking file modifications of "/var/log/syslog"
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::logFileChanged: Unlocking file modifications of "/var/log/syslog"
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewModel::startingMultipleInsertions: Starting multiple insertions...
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::logFileChanged: Reading file "/var/log/syslog"
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::insertLines: Inserting lines...
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::insertLines: Log file Sort mode is 0
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::insertLines: Total read lines : 1000 ( "/var/log/syslog" )
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewModel::endingMultipleInsertions: Ending multiple insertions...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewWidget::scrollToNewestItem: Scrolling to the newest item...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogViewModel::endingMultipleInsertions: Enabling log view widget refresh...
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::updateLog: Updating log 1000 new lines
                  ksystemlog(1599) TabLogViewsWidget::changeTitleAddedLines: Changing title 1000 added lines...
                  ksystemlog(1599) Analyzer::logFileChanged: Updating log files in 2515 ms
                  ksystemlog(1599) LocalLogFileReader::logFileModified: Unlocking log file modification...
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::changeCurrentTab: Tab has changed
                  ksystemlog(1599) KSystemLog::MainWindow::changeCurrentTab: Tab changing done
                  ksystemlog(1599) LogManager::reload: Log mode "System Log" reloaded
                  QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                  QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/cam/.config/ibus/bus
                  Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
                  IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

Comment

Upgraded from 9.10 no worries, all went smooth, However a few short minutes after logging in and starting up Firefox the screen goes blue (the same color as the start up splash screen though with a garbled and illegible Kubuntu logo) then black and into a syntax screen asking me to log in. A fair bit of syntax rolls across the screen after it dies, some of which is:

-Setting sensor limits
                    -Checking battery state
                    -Common Unix print system

There's also something about App armour.

There's also no consistency to when it dies, just randomly. Have started it up just to have it black screen before the log in tune gets to start, and other times have surfed the net listened to music etc for hours until it black screens. Has been getting better the more updates I do, but now even the update manager won't proceed because it's "Waiting for package manager lock" and sits there doing nothing.

Am typing this hoping it doesn't black screen on me again!!

Has become very annoying and unstable. 9.10 was a dream to use.......

btw, I don't have any graphics enhancements turned on either, it as is out of the box.
                    Ignore the "you have bad hardware" comments, you more than likely have a problem with how the latest xorg driver interfaces with your video card. From the description what you are seeing is xorg crashing. Post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a crash, and the output of 'sudo lspci'.
                    Don't blame me for being smarter than you, that's your parent's fault.

Comment

Xorg.0.log:

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
                      Release Date: 2010-03-17
                      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
                      Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-25-server i686 Ubuntu
                      Current Operating System: Linux HP 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30 UTC 2010 i686
                      Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic root=UUID=e5bcd7ba-e560-408b-910a-8733534d04f0 ro quiet splash
                      Build Date: 23 April 2010 05:11:50PM
                      xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 (Bryce Harrington <bryce@ubuntu.com>)
                      Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
                      Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                      to make sure that you have the latest version.
                      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 16 01:24:31 2010
                      (==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
                      (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
                      (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
                      (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
                      (**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
                      (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
                      Using a default monitor configuration.
                      (==) Automatically adding devices
                      (==) Automatically enabling devices
                      (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
                      Entry deleted from font path.
                      (==) FontPath set to:
                      /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
                      /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
                      /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
                      /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
                      /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
                      /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
                      /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
                      built-ins
                      (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
                      (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
                      If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
                      (II) Loader magic: 0x81f0e80
                      (II) Module ABI versions:
                      X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
                      X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
                      X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
                      X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
                      (++) using VT number 7

(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:2562:0e11:00b9 Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device rev 1, Mem @ 0xf0000000/134217728, 0xfc400000/524288
                      (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
                      (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
                      (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 1.0.0
                      Module class: X.Org Server Extension
                      ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
                      (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
                      (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
                      (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
                      (II) Loading extension DPMS
                      (II) Loading extension XVideo
                      (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
                      (II) Loading extension X-Resource
                      (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
                      (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
                      (II) LoadModule: "glx"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
                      (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (==) AIGLX enabled
                      (II) Loading extension GLX
                      (II) LoadModule: "record"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
                      (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 1.13.0
                      (II) Loading extension RECORD
                      (II) LoadModule: "dri"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
                      (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
                      (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
                      (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 1.1.0
                      (II) Loading extension DRI2
                      (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
                      (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 1
                      (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
                      (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
                      (II) LoadModule: "intel"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
                      (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.9.1
                      Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                      ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
                      (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
                      (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.3.0
                      Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                      (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
                      (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.4.1
                      (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
                      i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
                      E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
                      965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
                      4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale
                      (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
                      (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
                      (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
                      (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
                      (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
                      (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
                      (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
                      (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.0.2
                      (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
                      (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
                      (II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.1.0
                      (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
                      (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
                      (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
                      drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
                      drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
                      drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
                      drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
                      drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
                      drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 8
                      drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
                      (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
                      "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
                      (==) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
                      (==) intel(0): RGB weight 888
                      (==) intel(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                      (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 845G
                      (--) intel(0): Chipset: "845G"
                      (--) intel(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xF0000000
                      (--) intel(0): IO registers at addr 0xFC400000 size 524288
                      (WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
                      (II) intel(0): No SDVO device is found in VBT
                      (II) intel(0): 1 display pipe available.
                      (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
                      (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
                      (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
                      (II) Loading sub module "i2c"
                      (II) LoadModule: "i2c"
                      (II) Module "i2c" already built-in
                      (II) intel(0): Output VGA has no monitor section
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVODDC_D" initialized.
                      (II) Loading sub module "sil164"
                      (II) LoadModule: "sil164"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sil164.so
                      (II) Module sil164: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" initialized.
                      (II) Loading sub module "ch7xxx"
                      (II) LoadModule: "ch7xxx"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ch7xxx.so
                      (II) Module ch7xxx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" removed.
                      (II) Loading sub module "ivch"
                      (II) LoadModule: "ivch"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ivch.so
                      (II) Module ivch: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_B" initialized.
                      (II) Loading sub module "tfp410"
                      (II) LoadModule: "tfp410"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tfp410.so
                      (II) Module tfp410: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_B" removed.
                      (II) Loading sub module "ch7017"
                      (II) LoadModule: "ch7017"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ch7017.so
                      (II) Module ch7017: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVODDC_D" removed.
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" initialized.
                      (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" removed.
                      (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
                      (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_ADC control interface" registered at address 0x6E.
                      (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_ADC control interface" removed.
                      (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.
                      (II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA
                      (II) intel(0): Manufacturer: ACI Model: 20a4 Serial#: 102713
                      (II) intel(0): Year: 2009 Week: 25
                      (II) intel(0): EDID Version: 1.3
                      (II) intel(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V
                      (II) intel(0): Sync: Separate
                      (II) intel(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 44 vert.: 25
                      (II) intel(0): Gamma: 2.20
                      (II) intel(0): DPMS capabilities: Off; RGB/Color Display
                      (II) intel(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
                      (II) intel(0): redX: 0.640 redY: 0.330 greenX: 0.300 greenY: 0.600
                      (II) intel(0): blueX: 0.150 blueY: 0.060 whiteX: 0.312 whiteY: 0.329
                      (II) intel(0): Supported established timings:
                      (II) intel(0): 720x400@70Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 640x480@60Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 640x480@67Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 640x480@72Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 640x480@75Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 800x600@56Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 800x600@60Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 800x600@72Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 800x600@75Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 832x624@75Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 1024x768@60Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 1024x768@70Hz
                      (II) intel(0): 1024x768@75Hz
                      (II) intel(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
                      (II) intel(0): Supported standard timings:
                      (II) intel(0): #0: hsize: 1152 vsize 864 refresh: 75 vid: 20337
                      (II) intel(0): #1: hsize: 1600 vsize 900 refresh: 60 vid: 49321
                      (II) intel(0): Supported detailed timing:
                      (II) intel(0): clock: 108.0 MHz Image Size: 443 x 249 mm
                      (II) intel(0): h_active: 1600 h_sync: 1624 h_sync_end 1704 h_blank_end 1800 h_border: 0
                      (II) intel(0): v_active: 900 v_sync: 901 v_sync_end 904 v_blanking: 1000 v_border: 0
                      (II) intel(0): Serial No: 96LMTF102713
                      (II) intel(0): Ranges: V min: 55 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 85 kHz, PixClock max 160 MHz
                      (II) intel(0): Monitor name: ASUS VH202
                      (II) intel(0): EDID (in hex):
                      (II) intel(0): 00ffffffffffff000469a42039910100
                      (II) intel(0): 19130103682c19782aee91a3544c9926
                      (II) intel(0): 0f5054bfee00714fa9c0010101010101
                      (II) intel(0): 010101010101302a40c8608464301850
                      (II) intel(0): 1300bbf91000001e000000ff0039364c
                      (II) intel(0): 4d54463130323731330a000000fd0037
                      (II) intel(0): 4b1e5510000a202020202020000000fc
                      (II) intel(0): 00415355532056483230320a202000c5
                      (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "ACI", prod id 8356
                      (II) intel(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
                      (II) intel(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh
                      (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x0.0 108.00 1600 1624 1704 1800 900 901 904 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 30.24 640 704 768 864 480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "832x624"x0.0 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x0.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x60.0 119.00 1600 1696 1864 2128 900 901 904 932 -hsync +vsync (55.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Printing probed modes for output VGA
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x60.0 108.00 1600 1624 1704 1800 900 901 904 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x60.0 119.00 1600 1696 1864 2128 900 901 904 932 -hsync +vsync (55.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x75.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x70.1 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "832x624"x74.6 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x72.2 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x56.2 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x72.8 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x66.7 30.24 640 704 768 864 480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x59.9 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x70.1 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Output VGA connected
                      (II) intel(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
                      (II) intel(0): Output VGA using initial mode 1600x900
                      (II) intel(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise stated.
                      (II) intel(0): detected 128 kB GTT.
                      (II) intel(0): detected 8060 kB stolen memory.
                      (==) intel(0): video overlay key set to 0x101fe
                      (**) intel(0): Display dimensions: (440, 250) mm
                      (**) intel(0): DPI set to (92, 91)
                      (II) Loading sub module "fb"
                      (II) LoadModule: "fb"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
                      (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
                      (II) intel(0): Comparing regs from server start up to After PreInit
                      (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
                      (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
                      (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
                      (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
                      (II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
                      (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
                      (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
                      (II) intel(0): Kernel reported 107008 total, 1 used
                      (II) intel(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 428028 kB available
                      (II) intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
                      (**) intel(0): Framebuffer compression disabled
                      (**) intel(0): Tiling enabled
                      (**) intel(0): SwapBuffers wait enabled
                      (==) intel(0): VideoRam: 131072 KB
                      (II) intel(0): Attempting memory allocation with tiled buffers.
                      (II) intel(0): Tiled allocation successful.
                      (II) intel(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
                      (II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
                      (II) solid
                      (II) copy
                      (II) composite (RENDER acceleration)
                      (==) intel(0): Backing store disabled
                      (==) intel(0): Silken mouse enabled
                      (II) intel(0): Initializing HW Cursor
                      (II) intel(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 0 at 0x07fff000 (pgoffset 32767)
                      (II) intel(0): Fixed memory allocation layout:
                      (II) intel(0): 0x007df000: end of stolen memory
                      (II) intel(0): 0x007df000-0x07ffefff: DRI memory manager (123008 kB)
                      (II) intel(0): 0x07fff000-0x07ffffff: overlay registers (4 kB, 0x0000000012e4a000 physical
                      )
                      (II) intel(0): 0x08000000: end of aperture
                      (II) intel(0): BO memory allocation layout:
                      (II) intel(0): 0x007df000: start of memory manager
                      (II) intel(0): 0x00800000-0x00ffffff: front buffer (8192 kB) X tiled
                      (II) intel(0): 0x01000000-0x01004fff: HW cursors (20 kB)
                      (II) intel(0): 0x07fff000: end of memory manager
                      (II) intel(0): Output configuration:
                      (II) intel(0): Pipe A is on
                      (II) intel(0): Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A.
                      (II) intel(0): Output VGA is connected to pipe A
                      (II) intel(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
                      (==) intel(0): DPMS enabled
                      (==) intel(0): Intel XvMC decoder disabled
                      (II) intel(0): Set up overlay video
                      (II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 Enabled
                      (--) RandR disabled
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
                      (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
                      (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
                      (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
                      (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
                      (II) AIGLX: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap backed by buffer objects
                      (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so
                      (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
                      (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 423 x 238
                      (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-B20D7FC79C7F597315E3E501AEF10E0D866E8E92.xkm
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event1)
                      (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                      (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
                      (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                      compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.3.2
                      Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
                      ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
                      (**) Power Button: always reports core events
                      (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
                      (II) Power Button: Found keys
                      (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
                      (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
                      (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
                      (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
                      (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event0)
                      (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                      (**) Power Button: always reports core events
                      (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
                      (II) Power Button: Found keys
                      (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
                      (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse (/dev/input/event4)
                      (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
                      (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: always reports core events
                      (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
                      (II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found 8 mouse buttons
                      (II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
                      (II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found relative axes
                      (II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
                      (II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Configuring as mouse
                      (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
                      (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
                      (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
                      (II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse1)
                      (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event3)
                      (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
                      (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
                      (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
                      (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
                      (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
                      (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation (/dev/input/event2)
                      (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
                      (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: always reports core events
                      (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
                      (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found 3 mouse buttons
                      (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found relative axes
                      (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found x and y relative axes
                      (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Configuring as mouse
                      (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
                      (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
                      (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Macintosh mouse button emulation" (type: MOUSE)
                      (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: initialized for relative axes.
                      (II) config/udev: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation (/dev/input/mouse0)
                      (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
                      (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_ADC control interface" registered at address 0x6E.
                      (II) intel(0): Using hsync ranges from config file
                      (II) intel(0): Using vrefresh ranges from config file
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x0.0 108.00 1600 1624 1704 1800 900 901 904 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 30.24 640 704 768 864 480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "832x624"x0.0 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Modeline "1152x864"x0.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
                      (II) intel(0): Using hsync ranges from config file
                      (II) intel(0): Using vrefresh ranges from config file

Comment

cam@HP:~$ sudo lspci
                        [sudo] password for cam:
                        00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
                        00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
                        00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
                        00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
                        00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
                        00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
                        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
                        00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
                        00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
                        00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
                        05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VM (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)

Comment

There is a mention of Intel 8000-series GPUs in the 10.04 release notes.

Third from last item here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes

Comment

I don't know whether this is the answer or not

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ith-it-802465/

Basically it seems to say that you should ensure the driver that's being run is the intel driver rather than the i915 driver. It also suggests that the card isn't up to running desktop effects - IIRC these may be turned on by default in Kubuntu so if they are on you should turn them off.
                            Also, to follow on from dibls post, your card is specifically mentioned at the foot of this page

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

Comment

Thanks for all the info and pointers, however after trying most of the fixes suggested I still had the same problem. A few of the fixes enhanced things but alas the dreaded random black screen crashes is what broke the horses back for me.

I've reinstalled 9:10 as expected it is flawless. Just hope they can iron the bugs out in 10.10

Comment

Working...
                              X