This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu 10.04 hangs after fresh install and even with LiveCD

I had a similar problem (and I have ATI hardware in my thinkpad x100e). This thread details how I got around it:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111857.0
    Basically, I had to use the ubuntu liveCD, install ubuntu, run the apt-get update and upgrade commands, get fglrx for my video drivers, and get an updated driver for my wireless (I'm still having quirky problems with wireless. I'm about to try switching from knetworkmanager to wicd to see if that helps), then I had to use synaptic to install plasma desktop and choose it from the ubuntu login screen. Plasma worked fine when I did, and eventually I used dpkg to switch from gdm to kdm as my default, and so far, so good (touching wood). I still have gnome around at login, just in case.

Hope this helps!

Jensoko

Comment

I'll try what you said jensoko, I have my doubts that it may work, because I already did
      apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, and installed fglrx.

I even did something I read around (lost the page so sorry no link), I unsinstalled kde and resintalled it, since they didn't explain how to do it, I played a bit with the commands and did this:
      apt-get remove kde* or something like that I don't remember very well since it autocompletes with tab.
      Then I tried to reinstall it doing the same as above but with "install", and some errors showed up saying that some packages require some other stuff to be installed (Even with this I could get the login screen)..

Then again playing with the commands and reading instructions using man <something> I installed kubuntu desktop.
      The login screen is still fine but when I want to get in I get the same error:

kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails. The error code is 3. Check your installation

I did again all the steps from the other posts, and still nothing.

Thanks again to all for your help, I'll be still trying to find out how to make it work.

Comment

This should have been asked early -- What is the integrated ATI card/chip on your MOBO? If we know that, then likely there are boot kernel options that can be identified that when added, will get you fully booted into 10.04 and the Desktop.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well on my first post I pointed out the model of my video card, an ATI HD3200...

Comment

Ok well I did what jensoko suggested and it worked!! After installng Ubuntu Lucid, I installed plasma-desktop, but it wasn't enough.
            Then I installed kubuntu-desktop4-"something" (I just used the only option that the autocomplete showed)
            and it works better and even the loading splash changed to kubuntu, the only issue I find is the general performance.
            It feels somehow less stable and slower than Gnome, and kind of buggy or quirky I don't know why.
            For example I tried running multiple (and the same) applications on both and kubuntu starts showing signs of slowness quicker than while on gnome, and is also more prone to get momentary freezes.
            It finally works, but still some issues that I don't know how to solve.
            I even tried running a LiveCD of kubuntu and it still hangs.
            Althugh I'm not very satisfied now it works and maybe trying something else might help to solve it.
            Thanks everybody, i'm not posting this as solved unless you deem it applicable.

Comment

I think there is some obscure problem with the Lucid kernels.
              See: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112382.0
              • Try to boot the problem machine from a 10.04 Live CD.
              • Try to boot the problem machine from a 9.10 Live CD.

If the 10.04 does the splashscreen>blackscreen thing, but the 9.10 doesn't, suspect the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by erisian
                I think there is some obscure problem with the Lucid kernels.
                See: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112382.0
                • Try to boot the problem machine from a 10.04 Live CD.
                • Try to boot the problem machine from a 9.10 Live CD.

If the 10.04 does the splashscreen>blackscreen thing, but the 9.10 doesn't, suspect the kernel.

Well 9.10 works fine, but if I upgrade from it or make a fresh install of Lucid I get the same problem. I don't get the blackscreen, it just freezes at login after the Hard Disk icon appears.

Comment

• Hello mates, although it's been a while for this post, I just wanna make a couple of comments:

First of all, I got Kubuntu 10.04 running!!!
                    All I did was wait for some days until some bug fixes were released, and then I made a fresh install of Karmic, followed by an INMEDIATE upgrade to Lucid. At first I had the same problem, but I was able to make it work by repeating the process I made before:
                    Terminal -> Update/Upgrade/dist-Upgrade -> Install fglrx ->Autoremove -> Remove broken packages using recovery console (If it's the same thing as doing autoremove, excuse my ignorance, but both removed something.) -> and finally got into it.

I noticed though that I had installed a new kernel, so I suppose my main problem radicates there.

Although I was happy to finally make it work, I began to have dozens and dozens of crashes and hang ups, and even the general performance was worse than 9.04 (9.10 seems to be the best for me so far.)
                    Some of them were fixed with updates, but I just want to ask for help on another issues:
                    • First, I've been using it for a couple of weeks, and I get constant crashes when trying to use the system preferences, sometimes with browsers (Firefox especially).
                    • Second, well I installed the amd64 version (all the way since 9.10), supposign I'll experience a better performance, but my system hangs sometimes when more than 3 apps are open!!!
                      I have an HP 6735b;
                      AMD Turion X2 64 RM-70 2.00 gHz
                      ATI HD3200
                      2 GB RAM

So now I don't know what to do, I tend to use Netbeans on Kubuntu because I've always felt it faster than on Win. Should I switch to i386 (doing the whole long process again )

Or

Is there away to counter these problems.

I'll really appreciate any assitance.

P.S.
                  On a side note, I've been experiencing problems with OpenOffice when working with Office 2007 files, I can't open any, and always a message appears with something like this:

General Error.
                  General input/output error.

Oh!! and also, I get constant crashes when I'm trying to configure my Desktop Preferences on the System Settings, so I can't use any desktop, animation or window effect.

Help please

Comment

Working...
                  X