This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling automatic security updates?

I keep coming up against these embarrassingly-simple-sounding problems... :-)

After 10.04, it seems like the update framework is doing security updating, without confirmation, in the background, and just telling me when it happens. I prefer to do it the old way, where i get an alert, and then open up a package manager and update when/if i please.

In kpackagekit -> settings -> Edit Software Sources -> Updates, I have all but pre-release updates checked, "check for updates" checked and set to "daily", and "Only notify about available updates" selected. It would seem that this preference is being ignored in my case, and it's behaving as if i have "Install security updates without confirmation" selected, even though i do not.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping there's something obvious before i need to muck around with swapping out .kde or monkeying with /etc/cron scripts...

I have no /etc/apt/apt.conf

Anyone else see this behavior?

Thanks!
    -c

Re: Disabling automatic security updates?

Install Synaptic Package Manager and start doing ALL of your package managing with it. KPackageKit is just not ready for production use. You can use KPackageKit to install Synaptic, or do it from the CLI:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    After Synaptic is installed, make your preference changes with it and see if you don't "get what you want" with it.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Roger that, thanks. I do have Synaptic installed and use it... I have looked through the prefs for it and didn't see anything that seemed relevant... when I go to Settings -> Repositories, it just brings up the same screen that KPackageKit brings up, with the settings as described in my last post. There was one setting, Settings -> Preferences -> General -> "System Upgrade" that was set to "Smart Upgrade"... I changed this to "Always Ask"... perhaps this was the switch that needed to be flipped? I'll report back if it doesn't work... and if you have or anyone else has any further ideas, i'm all ears. Otherwise, thanks much for the help,
      -c

Comment

My settings. I am always 'notified' of updates - I have to perform the actual fetching and installing of any updates.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mine look just like that (except for unsupported updates). I notice that there is an extra option and other minor differences in the "repositories" dialog's "updates" tab in the synaptic version, so i guess Kpackagekit isn't using the same window, it just cloned the synaptic window? Anyhow, my via-synaptic config looks just like yours, so we'll see if my system behaves itself now that i confirmed those settings through synaptic... i unset and set a couple values just to be sure it all registered...

Thanks!
          -c

Comment

Hmmm... just now it just popped up another alert saying that security updates are being installed in the background, so the settings-via-synaptic seem not to have affected anything. Am I the only one with this issue?

KPackageKit has run in the interim, however, since it pops up for the other, non-security updates... so I suppose it's possible that it corrupted the settings somehow, but I have a feeling the answer may lie elsewhere? Even if it is KPK, can I somehow tell the Kubuntu auto-updates to use Synaptic instead?

It's pretty frustrating to have no obvious way to turn off automatic updating... I'm sure, or at least I would hope, it wasn't the intention of the desktop designers to make this impossible to turn off, so I'm wondering if my setup is somehow broken or if there is a bug?

-c

Comment

I too am seeing this behavior, so, no, you are not alone. And, chconnor you are saying that installing synaptic did not fix the problem? I was waiting to see whether it helped before doing so myself.

Also, for me, when I manually download/update through KPackageKit, it does not prompt me for a password like it should. Snowhog has already suggested I install snaptic for this issue in the following thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112226.0

Something has occurred to me, however, in reading this thread. In Snowhog's screenshot, there was no choice for proprietary (restricted) drivers. My choices seem more debian--ish (main, universe, restricted, (all selected) and a choice for multiverse which I do not have ticked.

My system was originally installed from an 8.10 Kubuntu Live CD and dist-upgraded every 6 months thereafter. I currently run 10.04.

Perhaps, Snowhog or someone else that has done a fresh install of 10.04 could post their sources.lst
              I too agree that this is probably something simple, so maybe an updated sources.lst would solve this perplexing problem for me. It is worth a try.

chconnor, was yours a fresh install, or was it a dist-upgrade? I am guessing the latter.

And yeah, I know. It really is time for me to do a fresh install of 10.04. I am long overdue for this, and have already toasted the CD.

Comment

I'm running from a CD GOLD install and noticed this behavior right after the 155 package update to KDE 4.4.4. Apparently there is an rc script setting that got changed and which isn't changed by editing using Synaptic or KpackageKit. I am going to go script hunting...
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek, eager to hear what you come up with.

buntu-user, I'm 9.04->9.10->10.04

-c

Comment

I've also noticed this -- it's happening right now -- and it's really pissing me off. I specifically configured it to notify me of updates only. I use Synaptic for most everything, but I don't believe Synaptic integrates with the update notifier in KDE so I left kpackagekit installed. I guess I'll have to remove kpackagekit completely...

*grumble*

Comment

Those having automatic package updates ...

What does "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades" show a set of forward-slashes on the "Ubuntu lucid-updates" line, like so?

// Automatically upgrade packages from these (origin, archive) pairs
                      Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins {
                      "Ubuntu lucid-security";
                      // "Ubuntu lucid-updates";
                      };
                      Or check ~/.kde/share/config/KPackageKit and see if "autoUpdagte=1
                      [CheckUpdate]
                      autoUpdate=1
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The KPackageKit (or is this the PackageKit) problem has been there some time:

(Fedora)
                        > kpackage settings do not stick
                        > Automatic update ran despite being disabled (which is bad)

An Ubuntu bug report > Bug #586497: kpackagekit install security update in automatic mode without authorization

There is an application (earlier > Topic: Auto Update) for the automatic installation of security upgrades:

Package: unattended-upgrades
                        automatic installation of security upgrades
                        but, i think, that you need to enable it from /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic.
                        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131, #586497 sounds like the bug, though it seems to have gained little/no attention...

So perhaps we can uninstall package unattended-upgrades? Or just comment out the line in 50unattended-upgrades, i suppose. I just want to do whatever is the lightest touch and least likely to cause confusion upon further upgrading, and/or fix whatever bug is present... My various config files follow.

Thanks all,
                          -c

Code:
                          $ sudo dpkg -l unattended-upgrades
                          Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
                          | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
                          |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
                          ||/ Name                     Version                    Description
                          +++-=============================================-=============================================
                          ii unattended-upgrades              0.55ubuntu4                  automatic installation of security upgrades
                          Code:
                          $ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic 
                          APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
                          APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "0";
                          APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "0";
                          APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";
                          Code:
                          $ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades 
                          // Automatically upgrade packages from these (origin, archive) pairs
                          Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins {
                              "Ubuntu lucid-security";
                          //   "Ubuntu lucid-updates";
                          };

Code:
                          $ cat .kde/share/config/KPackageKit
                          [CheckUpdate]
                          autoUpdate=1

-c

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                            but, i think, that you need to enable it from /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic.
                            unattended-upgrades is installed here (Lucid 10.04), but not activated:
                            paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic
                            APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
                            APT::Periodic:ownload-Upgradeable-Packages "0";
                            APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "0";
                            APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";
                            In my case, based on my records, unattended-upgrades came in on 2010-05-14. I don't have this set as active:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              unattended-upgrades is installed here (Lucid 10.04), but not activated:
                              Likewise, here...

I don't have this set as active
                              ...also likewise, yet the security updates happen without asking, for me...

-c

Comment

Working...
                              X