X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too many boot sessions!

Hi everyone,
    I recently just changed to Kubuntu LTS 10.04 from windows. I had first installed ubuntu, then Kubuntu. The problem is that when I have my log in screen(not the Grubb), and I have to choose what I want to boot, I have like 10 options(instead of the usual KDE, GNOME and something else). I think these boot options are located in the /boot folder but I don't know what to remove!

thx for the help!

PS: KDE rocks

Re: too many boot sessions!

Hi and welcome!

10 options seems rather a lot. Can you please provide a list of them? I imagine by "installing kubuntu" you mean you installed the package "kubuntu-desktop" to your base installation rather than a full-blown installation. Is your login screen GDM (The gnome one) or KDM (the KDE one - hint: it will be blue )

Your final comment suggests that you might have decided that you might want to default to KDE. Do you want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Xander
      Hi everyone,
      I recently just changed to Kubuntu LTS 10.04 from windows. I had first installed ubuntu, then Kubuntu. The problem is that when I have my log in screen(not the Grubb), and I have to choose what I want to boot, I have like 10 options(instead of the usual KDE, GNOME and something else). I think these boot options are located in the /boot folder but I don't know what to remove!

thx for the help!

PS: KDE rocks
      So if it isn't grub then I assume it is gdm you are talking about?

A little history would help us help you. So you installed ubuntu 10.4 but then decided to go for kde and installed kubuntu-desktop over your ubuntu?

My guess is that you want kdm rather than gdm as your login manager. To do so, type
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
      I hope that is right, I haven't used a debian based distro for a loooong time...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I hope that is right, I haven't used a debian based distro for a loooong time...
        Uhhh, isn't (K)Ubuntu debian based

Toad, did you mean Gnome based... lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Course it is, and I haven't used one for... heck, I don't know, ages! I'm on ArchLinux but don't seem to be able to stay away from this forum
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I see - you're just a Helpy-Helperton..

How's Arch? Have you looked at the new Chakra split? I d/l'd phoix, but haven't played with it much.

Oooo...sorry for the thread hijack!

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, never used chakra, always had vanilla kde and arch. BTW, don't try arch, it is horrible But I do stay around here 'cos a) the people are great and b) I need to keep sort of in the know 'cos I installed 08.04 for a mate who is computer illiterate.

But anyway, back to Xander and his/her problem - it'd be great if you could post a screenshot of some sort so we definitely know what it is that you are objecting to

Comment

Yes, when we know what the options presented are, then we will know how to address them.

If there are 10, that suggests to me that there are more desktop environments installed than just KDE and gnome. However IIRC my wifes netbook running UNR presents 4 options:

Default (the last one loaded I think), Vanilla gnome, Ubuntu Netbook, and console. That's 4 to start with. KDE will make 5. I'm wondering whether some other DEs like Icewm or xfce etc have become installed too.

Comment

Hi again
                  sorry for not being clearer, but that is my problem:
                  I have my login screen where I type my password. Bottom left theres shutdown and sessions(or maybe they are called kernels) here's the list:
                  Failsafe Gnome
                  Gnome
                  KDE(previous)
                  Guest-restricted
                  Guest-restricted
                  Guest-restricted
                  xterm
                  failsafe

not easy to choose fast. I just want to keep KDE and Gnome.

I installed kubuntu desktop, but the first time I restarted the computer, it booted Ubuntu(or Gnome).
                  Hope I have enough info!
                  Sorry again I'm kinda of a noob at linux for now( I used: rm -rf * in my home folder!)

Comment

Ah, thanks for that, Xander.

You are indeed talking about the login manager KDM. Generally all login managers act the same: the previous session (in your case KDE) should be called up automagically. So I wouldn't worry about all the others. Try them by all means I am curious btw how you got the Guest-restricted entry in there and why you have so many of them!?

The stuff you were referring to somewhere in /boot is something different - namely the grub entries you see before booting.

Comment

Hi,
                      thanks for you're answer.
                      I got the guest-restricted after installing gnome inside Kubuntu using the Konsole(i don't remember what it was).
                      But now I boot automaticly with KDM so I consider the problem solved, but will try out the Guest-restrivted things.

thx community!

Comment

Working...
                      X