X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUBUNTU firefox and openoffice

Hi all,
    I am new here. I recently installed kubuntu 10.04 and I liked it a lot. I have one big problem though.
    Firefox and open office fonts look very ugly when I compare them with an installation of ubuntu 10.04 on another machine. I searched the internet and found some people complaining about it but they don't have solutions. Some say it is the way KDE renders these fonts. How can I solve this?

Re: KUBUNTU firefox and openoffice

Could be your video installation.

Open a terminal and type xdpyinfo |grep resolution

It should at least be square, preferably 100x100, 75x75 or 96x96 (for windows fonts)

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by atoo
      Hi all,
      I am new here. I recently installed kubuntu 10.04 and I liked it a lot. I have one big problem though.
      Firefox and open office fonts look very ugly when I compare them with an installation of ubuntu 10.04 on another machine. I searched the internet and found some people complaining about it but they don't have solutions. Some say it is the way KDE renders these fonts. How can I solve this?

KDE enables font "auto-hinting" feature, by default. But most of the time, this behaviour ends up in ugly rendered fonts in oo and firefox. Go into System Settings/Fonts section. There, below you will see the anti aliasing settings. Enable anti-aliasing and then disable "auto hinting". This will probably solve your problem.

Regards

Comment

Thank you oblivion. Problem solved.
        I enabled anti-aliasing. Checked use sub-pixel rendering and made hinting style FULL to get those excellent fonts. I even made them crispier by forcing 120 DPI.

oshunluvr,
        xdpyinfo |grep resolution gives me
        resolution: 101x101 dots per inch
        I have NVIDIA 9500 and a wide screen monitor @1920x1080.

Comment

FYI: If you're using an xorg.conf file you can easily set your dpi with

Option "DPI" "100x100"

or whatever value you want in your screen section.

Something to play with....

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X