X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One installation diferent users very diferent responsive from system

Hi There,

I installed the 10.04 on a Clevo-901c with 4G ram.... I created 2 users lets name them x and y.

User x is a administrator and worked fine till 2 days ago...when I start user x the system loads normally till the 5th icon appears then it takes 10 times longer to load user x then user y.
    clicking on a desktop symbol is only possible once. The system still has a lot of resources free if I read top or "ctrl esc" well.
    But the system x seems very slow overall....

On the other hand I created a new user "y" after the incident which works as one can expect.

Has this something to do with the memory of which applications where loaded during the earlier session?

So may question is how do I resolve this unresponsiveness for user x?
    Can I turn of the memory of which applications that where running?

Kind Regards
    Guy Forssman

Re: One installation diferent users very diferent responsive from system

The command...

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

...would allow you to free memory, but I can't tell you whether or not it'll run faster or normally.
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
      As the super user or admin the command...

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

...would allow you to free memory, but I can't tell you whether or not it'll run faster or normally.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I used your command as sudo but it didn't have any effect...

Comment

"top" shows a list of running programs and their memory and cpu use. "htop" will show cpu and memory total use and some other stuff.

If you prefer GUI - ksysguard will show you what you need to see and allow you to "kill" processes - if that is in fact the issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

As mentioned in my first post, the resources and memory use seems fine, so unfortunately these tools to see the resource and memory use aren't helping me..

I hope somebody can help me..

Comment

Working...
            X