This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No USB sound in VLC after upgrade

After upgrade to Karmic I found that there was no USB sound in VLC. I started this topic, but without a reply. No USB sound in VLC after upgrade

After upgrade to Lucid I found that the problem remainded, I decided to try again and finally found this solution on Ubuntu Forums from Mariane:
    To edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and set -2 to 0 in the line towards the bottom of the file
    Code:
    old line: options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    new line: options snd-usb-audio index=0
    and reboot.

Sound in VLC must be set to ALSA and than plays from USB speakers.
    Sound in the system settings can be set to ALSA and then plays from internal speakers.

Modified 10.7.2010: Still remains problem described here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3914#msg233914
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Re: [Solved] No USB sound in VLC after upgrade

Small problem with trying that idea...I forgot how to edit...I know I have to be a superuser, so I can't edit in Kate (unless there is a place to upgrade my permissions that I do not know of) and I tried using sudo in Terminal, but wasn't able to get into the file.

Can you give me a step by step please?

Comment

You can launch Kate as the superuser (root) by pressing Alt+F2 and typing: kdesudo kate
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well, I was able to edit the line and restarted, but I still do not have control of my speakers...the only sound I am getting is the log in/off clip but it is really loud even with the volume on 0.

Perhaps you can explain more about "VLC" and ALSA...I'm not sure what those are or where to find them.

Comment

VLC is video player based on GTK+ intended for Gnome (Ubuntu), so it has problems that real Qt4 programs for KDE (Kubuntu) don't have. To set 0 was my solution to have USB sound in movies and maybe in all GTK+ programs.

ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture and is one of the possibilities how to set sound. It can be set in VLC settings.

I am not a bigger expert to sound problems then you are, just googled something what happily works for me.

Our problems are not exactly the same, as I have USB sound in system and in all qt4 programs and a problem was only with VLC and it looks like my solution is not solution for you, but I think it was worth trying.

There is a lot of problems with sound in Kubuntu Lucid and many of them are not so easy to solve. You can see a lot of unresolved threads in this forums. By the way even if I have USB sound now, Kubuntu recognizes my USB speakers approximately only in half of sessions. I need to start system twice from time to time to have USB sound working. http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3914#msg233914 no response.

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
            VLC is video player based on GTK+ intended for Gnome (Ubuntu), so it has problems that real Qt4 programs for KDE (Kubuntu) don't have.
            Actually VLC is a native Qt program
            http://wiki.videolan.org/Qt_Interface

Comment

Actually VLC is a native Qt program
              There is a lot of articles on this forums, which claim that VLC is GTK+ application and your link speaks only about an interface to qt, if I understood it correctly so I am not sure now.
              But anyway if it is a qt application it should behave without problems like others.
              At least I found now, that we in Lucid use an old buggy version of VLC, so we can look forward to Maverick or install v.1.1.x manually if we know how. I don't know.

Comment

Re: No USB sound in VLC after upgrade

Just look at the dependencies -- definitely not GTK
                http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/vlc
                libqtcore4, libqtgui4 BUT libgtk2.0-0 is also required

Note that other distributions have no direct gtk requirements
                http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/vlc/

Edit: fix url

Comment

Working...
                X