This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost my network interface after upgrading to KDE 4.4.3

Thought I would throw this out on the forum because I haven't found anyone a problem like this.

My upgrade experience from kubuntu 9.10 to lucid was a breeze and is posted here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111987.0

However . . . after such a pleasant OS upgrade, with everything running so well, I thought "Heck, may as well upgrade to KDE 4.4.3!" Ha! Little did I know my "luck of the Irish" had just run out. The upgrade went without incident until reboot. I had rebooted several times up to that point after the install to 10.04 with no problem, but this was the first reboot after the KDE 4.4.3 upgrade. The system appeared to come up ok, login screen looked normal, but for some reason the system couldn't fire up the eth0 interface. No network. I tried to force it with ifconfig. The interface would accept the changes, but after a few, maybe 10, minutes the interface config was gone. Even shut the system down, unplugged the NIC, the power cord, drained the capacitors and then waiting 10 minutes before bringing the system back up. Strange thing when the system came back up the NIC worked for about 5 minutes then disappeared. Sometimes Network Manager would work, sometimes not.

After looking around in /var/log I found the following error in syslog, udev and dmesg:
    Code:
    addrconf(netdev_up): eth0 link not ready
    After an unsuccessful hour looking around on the forums and elsewhere I didn't find much that really addressed my circumstances. I eventually opt'ed to reinstall. The first thing I was interested to see is whether the interface came up with the Live CD, which it did. So, a half hour later I was back to where I was just before upgrading to KDE 4.4.3. The system has been running smoothly even after 5 reboots.

Wierd.

Re: Lost my network interface after upgrading to KDE 4.4.3

Are you by chance, using Wicd? There is/was a problem with having both, Wicd and KNetworkmanger (the installed default) installed. In the past, installing Wicd would remove KNetworkmanager. That isn't so now, and if Wicd is installed, you need to remove/purge KNetworkmanger.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am not running Wicd. This is a vanilla install, right from a fresh download, but I did read a post about that conflict. Funny thing is, this issue did not occur until after the KDE 4.4.3 update, and it was not an issue with the live CD nor this new install.

Comment

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file contain?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X