This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [solved]No Root Terminal

I just got home from work and tried the suggestions.
    "sudo su" is the one that worked, asking for my user password. I am happy.
    "su -" asked for password and failed, even if left blank.

Funny how a trivial problem frustrates and the solution seems obvious when done!
    OF course Kubuntu will stay for a long time on this laptop, that is the whole reason I wanted the long term support version.

Finally figured out the solved issue...
    By the way, I help people on the public computers at the Library. Of course, it is with a more crash prone o.s. and believe me, it is a true mess...

Thanks to all. --ml

Comment

On almost every other distro I've run "su -" is a valid way to access root. But, NOT on Debian based distros like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, etc...

If you do "locate bin/su" in a Konsole you won't see an app called "su". (But you will see some with "su" in their name. IOW, su does not exist on Kubuntu. That's why it won't work.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        If you do "locate bin/su" in a Konsole you won't see an app called "su". (But you will see some with "su" in their name. IOW, su does not exist on Kubuntu. That's why it won't work.
        Err...what :P

There is a /bin/su (otherwise "sudo su" wouldn't work either)

It doesn't work as expected by default because su wants a root password (that doesn't exist in *buntus by default), that's why it needs to be run with sudo to function (as sudo asks for user password by default...and then runs su as root)

Of course, there is no need to to chain sudo and su, you can simply use 'sudo -i' command to get a root shell.

Comment

My apologies. I was wrong.

That line (bin/su) scrolled up under the top boarder of the Konsole and I didn't see it so I thought it wasn't there (and since Ubuntu is based on Debian .... )
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X