This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved]No Root Terminal

I installed 10.04 on my Dell 600 laptop. All went very well and I proceeded to load software starting with Synaptic. After installing programs I wanted, I decided to install a game I like, which requires being ROOT in a Terminal session. It will not let me be root ( su ---> password) The message is authentication failed. Logging out of the KDE session and entering "root" as user and entering password, it fails also. I use my login and return to KDE, and use Synaptic (enter my password) and can install new programs. Updates work too entering the same password.

Can I get to be root or is my installation ruined? Ideas? -----------------Mike

Re: No Root Terminal

To gain/become root in a terminal, type:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    (make sure to type 'exit' when you are finished to return to your users environment in the terminal)
    If, however, you only need to 'root privleges' to install, then just type:
    Code:
    sudo command
    where command is the command you want sudo to execute.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In the terminal, I did type su:
      su (enter)
      Password: (my password then enter)

and get authentication failed.
      That is when I logged out of my KDE session to get the login screen and entered in the (graphic) box for user: root, then for password my password, the ONLY password I have, and get the same message: authentication failed.
      I am puzzled since updates and software installation work with the same password.

Comment

Just a stab in the dark - there isn't a root password by default. There is a sudo password, but not root.

If you really need to be root user (not recommended in a GUI) you can first set the root user password:

sudo passwd root

then su should work.

Another option is to use sudo -i which leaves you in sudo mode until you type exit

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by mike-chipper
          In the terminal, I did type su:
          su (enter)
          Password: (my password then enter)

and get authentication failed.
          Did you not read my reply? :P

Comment

You were not reading close enough. The command SnowHog gave you was

sudo su -

However, the wisdom if installing a game as root is highly questionable. There is no reason why it should be given root privileges.

You can learn about chroot by doing in a Konsole:

man chroot

and

info coreutils 'chroot invocation'

Here are a few tips to help avoid common problems in using chroot.
            To start with a simple example, make COMMAND refer to a statically
            linked binary. If you were to use a dynamically linked executable, then
            you'd have to arrange to have the shared libraries in the right place
            under your new root directory.

For example, if you create a statically linked `ls' executable, and
            put it in `/tmp/empty', you can run this command as root:

$ chroot /tmp/empty /ls -Rl /

Then you'll see output like this:

/:
            total 1023
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1041745 Aug 16 11:17 ls

If you want to use a dynamically linked executable, say `bash', then
            first run `ldd bash' (or your app) to see what shared objects it needs. Then, in
            addition to copying the actual binary, also copy the listed files to
            the required positions under your intended new root directory.
            Finally, if the executable requires any other files (e.g., data, state,
            device files), copy them into place, too.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Some of the really old Loki games required root user to install.

Does the sudo su - command work without a root user password

Please Read Me

Comment

That logs you into 'roots' environment. You will then be working 'as root' for as long as you don't type 'exit.'

Comment

[Solved] Re: No Root Terminal

OK I didn't see the "-" Snowhog, I guess my 57yr old eyes aren't as sharp any more...
                  I am used to Mandriva, my old o.s. on the desktop. Laptop got the fresh new Kubuntu.
                  I will try it with the -. I find from time to time I need a root terminal, so I can do "house cleaning".

GreyGeek has given me pointers to address the issues needed, thank you. I think you understand what I am trying to do. (place binary somewhere, then needed libraries in a path where it can find) I have not found the libraries needed in Synaptic, it don't mean they aren't available. I just don't have enough experience to do it from scratch.

So if they aren't readilly available, I just chose to move the 5 library files to the library directory and go with it. Not the best solution but it has worked on the other computer (now running Mint 8 ).

Thank you all for the information. I really do think this Kubuntu is a good O.S., they did a great job.
                  ---------------------------mike

Comment

Re: [Solved] Re: No Root Terminal

Originally posted by mike-chipper
                    OK I didn't see the "-" Snowhog, I guess my 57yr old eyes aren't as sharp any more...
                    That's okay. Neither are my 53yr old ones! 8) :P

Comment

This is what you need to know about RootSudo in Ubuntu: RootSudo

Comment

geezers... I'm only 48! 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

Memory problems too, I'm actually 58!
                          Thanks kids!

Comment

Well then, between the three of us, we've got 159 years of 'ex'-perience!

Comment

Make that 227 years!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X