Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Solved) another grub2 issue; booting HFS+ partition (no EFI)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) another grub2 issue; booting HFS+ partition (no EFI)

The last distro I successfully installed was Hardy, due to problems with the included ATI driver in later versions. I was very happy to see that Lucid installed so easily, and seems relatively bug free.

My problem is with Grub2, which I have very little experience with.

I have an OSX partition (Tiger), which Grub2 identified & added the relevant entry. When I try boot from it my system reboots.

The grub-legacy entry to boot this partition was very simple:

title chainload Mac OSX no_efi
    root (hd0,2)
    makeactive
    chainloader --force +1

the entry that grub2 has added is quite complex:

menuentry "Mac OS X (32-bit) (on /dev/sda3)" {
    insmod hfsplus
    set root='(hd0,3)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 2f2550fb6cd195eb
    insmod vbe
    set do_resume=0
    if [ /var/vm/sleepimage -nt10 / ]; then
    if xnu_resume /var/vm/sleepimage; then
    set do_resume=1
    fi
    fi
    if [ $do_resume == 0 ]; then
    xnu_uuid 2f2550fb6cd195eb uuid
    if [ -f /Extra/DSDT.aml ]; then
    acpi -e /Extra/DSDT.aml
    fi
    xnu_kernel /mach_kernel boot-uuid=${uuid} rd=*uuid
    if [ /System/Library/Extensions.mkext -nt /System/Library/Extensions ]; then
    xnu_mkext /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    else
    xnu_kextdir /System/Library/Extensions
    fi
    if [ -f /Extra/Extensions.mkext ]; then
    xnu_mkext /Extra/Extensions.mkext
    fi
    if [ -d /Extra/Extensions ]; then
    xnu_kextdir /Extra/Extensions
    fi
    if [ -f /Extra/devprop.bin ]; then
    xnu_devprop_load /Extra/devprop.bin
    fi
    if [ -f /Extra/splash.jpg ]; then
    insmod jpeg
    xnu_splash /Extra/splash.jpg
    fi
    if [ -f /Extra/splash.png ]; then
    insmod png
    xnu_splash /Extra/splash.png
    fi
    if [ -f /Extra/splash.tga ]; then
    insmod tga
    xnu_splash /Extra/splash.tga
    fi
    fi
    }

I have added an entry to my 40_custom file to try and boot, so far without success:

menuentry "MacOS X Tiger" {
    insmod hfsplus
    set root='(hd0,3)'
    makeactive
    chainloader --force +1
    }

which gives an "HFS+ Partition error" message

I have spent several hours on this without success. I can boot my partition using a "super grub boot disk" by just selecting "boot partition" and pointing it at "Tiger".

I have the feeling the this might a very simple problem to solve, would anybody be kind enough to suggest a solution, or translate the old entry into Grub2 correctly for me please?

If I could just boot this partition with Grub2, I would be happy to continue learning how to use lucid properly , and figure out my Leopard partition in due course.

Re: another grub2 issue

Originally posted by jonthomas
    The grub-legacy entry to boot this partition was very simple:

title chainload Mac OSX no_efi
    root (hd0,2)
    makeactive
    chainloader --force +1

I have added an entry to my 40_custom file to try and boot, so far without success:

insmod hfsplus
    set root='(hd0,3)'
    makeactive
    chainloader --force +1
    }

which gives an "HFS+ Partition error" message
    Change your 40_custom to reflect:
    insmod hfsplus
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    makeactive
    chainloader --force +1
    }
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply snowhog.

I have tried your suggestion, unfortunately it still won't boot. I just get a blinking cursor when I use (hd0,2) as you suggest.

I had noticed the the (hd0,3) reference in Grub2 as compared to the (hd0,2) used in the grub-legacy version (that works); but I thought it was due to the different partition numbering system in grub2 (1 higher than in grub-legacy I think).
      I got this info from the "ones and zeros" section of this post:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110850.0

I didnt mention it in my original post as it was long enough already, but I think there is also another bootloader (darwin) involved -maybe that is causing problems, but i dont see why.

Specifically, when I successfully boot the "Tiger" partition it first asks me which partition I want to boot, listing all the NTFS and HFS+ partitions on the drive it can see. Unfortunately the default is set to an "XP Pro" partition. Not very elegant I know, but I have never managed to find a way to change the default, and I did try.

Seriously, thanks for trying to help me though...I appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by jonthomas
        Thanks for your quick reply snowhog.

I have tried your suggestion, unfortunately it still won't boot. I just get a blinking cursor when I use (hd0,3) as you suggest.
        My post said to change that to (hd0,2).

Comment

Apologies Snowhog, that was a typo...oops

I meant (hd0,2), that gives me a blinking cursor. (hd0,3) gives me the "HFS+ Partition error"

I have altered my last reply to correct the typo, hopefully it will now make more sense to anyone reading it.

Comment

I'm at work, not at home on my laptop, so....

There is a difference in the way Grub Legacy and Grub 2 enumerate drives and partitions. I'll look myself when I get home - I have notes/links to goodies - and find what needs to be known on this.

You need to reference the partition that your Mac OSX is installed on 'using Grub 2 enumeration syntax.'

Comment

yes, thats what i was trying to say. Specifically that grub-legacy numbers partitions starting from 0 and grub2 starting from 1. So in my case my "Tiger" partition is (hd0,2) in grub-legacy and (hd0,3) in grub2.

I have made some progress...

I found out that the "makeactive" comand has been replaced in grub2 by parttool.

So my 40_custom entry now reads:

insmod hfsplus
              set root='(hd0,3)'
              parttool (hd0,3) boot+
              chainloader --force +1
              }

still getting the "HFS+ Partition error" though...

thanks again.

Comment

I think that the problem is in the syntax of the 40_custom entry, specifically, the set root= line. You have (hd0,3) in single quotes. I don't think those quotes are supposed to be there.

See GRUB2 as the only boot loader: it's possible! from the InsanelyMac web sight.

Comment

While written for Grub Legacy, see also Installing the bootloader where it says:
                  If you have an "HFS+ partition error", copy all the files from /usr/standalone/i386 of the Darwin CD to a partition in NTFS, FAT or ext but not hfs on your hard disk, and put this in menu.lst :

title OSX_X86
                  rootnoverify (hd0,2) <- replace hd0,2 by the partition where you have copied chainloader files.
                  makeactive
                  chainloader /chain0
                  It might be helpful in at least directing you in the right direction.

Comment

I've done it both with and without the quotes and it seems to make no difference.

On my system, the 9.10 grub-pc version (1.96) didn't have the quotes, but the 10.04 version (1.98) did have the quotes.

I'm currently booting with the 1.98 version but my hand-made grub.cfg does not have the quotes. This is the basis for my conclusion.

Please Read Me

Comment

I found this on Ubuntu forums

Try these stanzas:

menuentry "MacOS X, tiger" {
                      insmod hfsplus
                      set root=(hd0,3)
                      multiboot /boot
                      }

Or if you have several renamed boot files in OS X's partition root you try this:

menuentry "MacOS X, tiger" {
                      insmod hfsplus
                      search --file --set=root /tiger.rc3.boot
                      multiboot /tiger.rc3.boot
                      }

edit to fit your boot file and version

Please Read Me

Comment

many thanks guys. It will take me a day, perhaps two, to work through those references & suggestions -some of them look quite interesting.

now im off for some exercise (cycling) -trying for a balance of mind and body 8)

Comment

good news, I booted my Tiger partition. woohoo

I tried all the code suggested here without success. Then I used your grub-legacy reference from Snowhog(Installing the bootloader), translated it into grub2 as best I could, a bit of random tweaking & It booted.

For anyone else in the same situation I'll lay out the steps I took to get it to boot:

heres my partition layout:

(hd0,1) NTFS Win XP Pro
                          (hd0,2) NTFS Data Storage
                          (hd0,3) OS X Tiger (no EFI)
                          (hd0,4) Kubuntu Lucid

1) I downloaded the Darwin bootloader CD .iso from apple, its free:
                          http://www.opensource.apple.com/darw...x86-801.iso.gz
                          My reference said that you have to enter your apple ID to download, I have one but wasnt asked for it.

2) I used Winrar to extract the files from the downloaded archive listed above.

3) I copied the files from /usr/standalone/i386/ (just a few hundred k) to the root of my NTFS data partition (hd0,2)

4) I edited my 40_custom file (sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom) by adding the following entry:

insmod hfsplus
                          set root=(hd0,2) #<- this is where I copied the darwin files
                          parttool (hd0,3) boot+ #<- this sets my Tiger partition to Active
                          chainloader /chain0 #<- this boots it using those (Darwin) files
                          }

5) I updated Grub2 to incude the new entry (sudo update-grub)

et voila - bob's your uncle

Note:that I wiped my Leopard partition for now (I have a backup), but the Darwin bootloader lists all the NTFS or HFS+ partitions it finds & asks which you would like to boot.

Many thanks guys, we cracked it. Now I can go back to my usual state of moderate confusion & learn Lucid whilst I iron out the few small bugs in my install(s)

Comment

Very good. I know how it feels when you figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X