This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I get help?

After foolishly accepting the 10.04 upgrade my installation of Kubuntu has been rendered useless. I have posted a few times looking for help and gotten 0 replies.

I have since fixed my samba and moved my files back to a windows machine because I can't trust this machine. I lost any access to apache and in trying to fix that with no help from the forum it is unfixable.

Can anyone help or should I forget about kubuntu all together.

Re: Why can't I get help?

Before you forget about kubuntu all together, you could try fresh install. Some users don't trust in upgrades and use fresh installs every time to minimize problems. You can still do fresh install of Jaunty or Karmic you were satisfied with.

I think you can't get help, because nobody knows solution to your specific problems. There is a lot of people willing to help here.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Having reviewed your posts I am afraid I don't know anything about samba and apache so can't actually provide an answer. However, you appear to have encountered a similar problem (at least so far as Samba was concerned) when you upgraded to 9.10, which you reported to have solved. Can I assume you have tried the same fix?

Remember I know little about apache and samba here. There may be configuration files in your home directory (access with dolphin by selecting view/show hidden files) that you can rename which might then enable you to reconfigure. There might be conflicts caused by using the old settings.

Otherwise, I agree with josefko, a fresh install can often be the solution to issues like this.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by k2zs
        After foolishly accepting the 10.04 upgrade my installation of Kubuntu has been rendered useless. I have posted a few times looking for help and gotten 0 replies.
        Why can't you find help? Probably because you supply worthless information when asking for help, just like the paragraph above. No explanation of what actually failed, no error messages, no logs ... just the implication that using the upgrade method is "foolish". What do you expect people to do after reading that? You didn't even say if you Googled for any answers. Helpers are always willing to help those who try to help themselves.

I have since fixed my samba and moved my files back to a windows machine because I can't trust this machine. I lost any access to apache and in trying to fix that with no help from the forum it is unfixable.
        NOTHING is "unfixable" with or without help from the forum. Apache does not come installed by default on Kubuntu, so you had to have installed it yourself. I could recommend that you reinstall everything related to apache2, but I won't because I don't know if you have or haven't already tried that. Besides, I wouldn't do that if your upgrade did not complete properly.

You have two choices.
        1) Download and md5sum verify the appropriate Lucid Lynx ISO for your system (32b or 64b). Burn it at 8X or less using TAO or DAO. Verify the burn by booting it and trying the 3rd option, which checks the CD's integrity. IF it passes BOTH verification test the REBOOT with the CD in the CDROM and to a FRESH install of the Kubuntu LL. Then install Synaptic. Then use Synaptic to install apache2 and its recommended files and applications. You seem to already know how to handle Samba.

2) Open a konsole and issue
        sudo apt-get -f install
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop (or reinstall if it is already installed)

In terms of time and chances for a successful outcome choice #1 would, IMO, be the best option.

IF you have any failures or error messages try and take the time to write them down or capture them and included them with your replies. Oh, and forget the whining and threats, they don't impress anyone.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'd like to add the likelihood of getting help drops drastically when your subject line is not problem specific

Please Read Me

Comment

Stuff like that really tempts the Devil. :-X

Tell ya what -- go ahead and take a 100% refund on your acquisition of Kubuntu, and use the funds for your next distro. Their forum will appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Stuff like that really tempts the Devil. :-X
              Boy, you ain't kiddin! My lip hurts from the biting... :P

Seriously, k2zs if you want some help - make some specific detailed help. I doubt you'll go without some help for long.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X