This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot with windows 7, kubuntu freezes at splash screen

so i just did the windows installer program, and installed kubuntu on the same HDD as windows 7.
    it seemd to work.
    when i restart my computer it lets me select my OS.
    fist i let it run normaly, and the kubuntu spash screen (running in full HD resolution) showed up and slowly but surely the dots on the bottom filled with light until it got to the last dot. it froze for 10 minutes so i restarted.
    this time i tried the 'safe graphical' option or something like that and i got a wall of text (also in HD resolution) and it froze again.

i tried the next option with a similar result.

my hardware set up is as follows:
    intel quad cpu q9400
    nvdia gts 250
    mobo is zotac 9400 mini itx

now the only other strange thing i noticed is that when windows was downloading and installing kubuntu it looked like it chose to download some version that was for AMD and not intel. but i dont know i i understood what i was looking at.

any help would be great.

Re: dual boot with windows 7, kubuntu freezes at splash screen

If you downloaded the 64-bit iso, it's got "AMD" in the name because of the AMD chips.

I'm having the splash-freeze as well, and I've gotten it under both i386 and AMD64 installs. Wish I knew what was going on.

Jensoko

Comment

i tried to uninstall and reinstall this time installing ubuntu just to see if it was different. aside from the different colored splash screen it was the same deal.

Comment

Reillyroo, can you get to the login screen? If so, the little red icon has a menu item underneath called "Console Login" - I can successfully login at a console screen. Dunno what to do from there, but at least now I have an option to sudo something. Maybe I'll sudo myself a sandwich and call it a night...after a few tweaks...

Comment

no sadly i can not get to a log in screen.
          the logo with the blinking lights is as far as i have gotten.

Comment

Reboot. When at the Grub menu screen, and with the kernel you are booting into, press 'e' to edit the boot line. Cursor to the end of the line and remove: quiet splash

Then continue to boot (the key to press is in the instructions at the bottom of the screen). Then note the boot messages, especially the last one, when the process 'stops/hangs.' This will provide a clue as to where the problem is.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It happened to me twice already.
              It doesn't really mean anything, but I also have a dual boot and both the times Kubuntu refused to load it was after a W7 crash.

Things I did to have it back in working order:
              • Reboot and start Kubuntu in safe mode
              • Repair broken packages with dpkg (with the appropriate safe mode menu entry)
              • Then, after finished, selected the continue booting option (be aware that this WON'T show your desktop)
              • When prompted, logged in with my username and password
              • Gave the command startx which loaded the desktop

At this point, Kubuntu was 100% usable and I kept using it for hours. A curious thing: after finished, the "shutdown" and "restart" options were lacking from the menu, so I had to logout instead and then shut it down from command line.
              Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid x64 + Windows 7 Pro x64<br />intel Core i7 920 - Asus P6T - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 3x2GB - Sapphire ATI HD5770 - WD Caviar 1TB SATA2 - LC Power GP3 650W

Comment

Unless kdm is the login manager, you won't get the "shutdown" or "reboot" options from kde.

Comment

Originally posted by jensoko
                  Unless kdm is the login manager, you won't get the "shutdown" or "reboot" options from kde.
                  I'm still not that expert to know such things
                  I just noticed that they were missing, even if they're usually there.

So, I suppose KDM is loaded by default at "normal" startup, but it's not when you login via bash and then run startx. Is it right?
                  Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid x64 + Windows 7 Pro x64<br />intel Core i7 920 - Asus P6T - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 3x2GB - Sapphire ATI HD5770 - WD Caviar 1TB SATA2 - LC Power GP3 650W

Comment

Working...
                  X