This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Kubuntu hangs on USB LiveCD & Bootup when starting Services

Edited to add: The problem seems to be when KDE starts. I can login at a command line, but kde seems to be hanging at startup. I've tried running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    , but no updates come through. I really hope this thing gets worked out soon. I love kdesktop but it looks like I'm stuck with gnome for the time being.

My Thinkpad x100e just arrived today and I used the Win7 partitioner to shrink Win7 in prep for a clean install of Kubuntu Netbook Remix Lucid via USB thumb drive.

I followed the directions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick to put the .iso on an 8gb thumb drive, and my netbook booted from the USB drive just fine. I went through the install steps, creating (in this order) a partition for /, a partition for /home, and a 2gig partition for /swap. The install seemed to proceed successfully, and the netbook shut down. I removed the thumb drive and the grub loader came up, I selected the "ubuntu" choice and seemed to start up just fine. I got a login screen, entered username and password, and then the loading screen came up and got stuck on the little picture of the hard drive.

I ended up having to hard reset, and when I attempted to run the netbook remix from the thumb drive, it, too, hung at the little hard drive icon. The md5 checksum matches what's on the download page...is there something else I should be checking? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the netbook remix?

I know at least one person in the world has successfully put ubuntu on the x100e, shown here at http://justinsomnia.org/2010/02/ubun...hinkpad-x100e/

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    JenSoko

Update Re: Kubuntu Netbook Remix hangs on USB LiveCD & Bootup

Update:
    I still get that hang, even when I try to run 10.04 from the LiveCD bootable usb key. It happens in regular 10.04, too, and with both i386 and AMD64 versions. I'm going to attempt to run/install 9.10 and upgrade from there. 9.10 at least runs from the usb key, even though the video seems to be a little wonky (hotspots for buttons on Konqueror not in the right place, wonky resizing, and recoverable screen lockup). I'm hoping the proprietary drivers for the ATI card will help with that.

Here goes nuthin'...

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Netbook Remix hangs on USB LiveCD & Bootup

Well, 9.10 worked fine, but right after my 9.10 install, I chose to upgrade to 10.04. To make a long story short, we already know this ending. It freezes after login.

Here are my specs, noted from the factory-install of win7 because I should have run lspci in terminal before I upgraded, but my fingers went too fast.

IBM ThinkPad x100e
      ATI Radeon HD 3200 - graphics card
      1366x768 - display
      802.11b/g/n wireless lan miniPCIxpress adapter II - RealTek
      Realtek PCIEGBE Family controller - wired
      AMD Athlon Neo X2 dual-core processor L335
      Conexant 20582 Smart Audio HD - sound card

Anyone, anyone? Bueller...Bueller...

Comment

Another update (sorry for spamming my own question) but apparently in 10.04 I *can* use the login screen to open a console login and successfully login. But now what do I do?

Comment

startx (I believe)
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yup. And I got the hang again. I think it might be something in the ATI graphics card or something with kde desktop. Sigh. I'm going back to 9.10 and staying there for a little longer, I guess.

I've been with *buntu since Edgy and this is only the second time I had a "did not work out of the box" experience with a release. I guess statistically I'm pretty lucky, though.

Comment

I'm sure, that in time, and not to long, issues with ATI will be worked out.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu hangs on USB LiveCD & Bootup when starting Services

Well, I'm finally posting from kubuntu (plasma netbook, if anyone's interested) and I have many things to share with the class in hopes that this will help someone else.

I managed to get to my working situation by doing the following. Full credit goes to www.justinsomnia.org/2010/02/ubuntu-on-a-lenovo-thinkpad-x100e (read the whole post AND the comments):
                1. Use Ubuntu 10.04 LIveCD amd64-bit iso on a usb stick, created with usb-creator, to install Lucid on my machine. Since neither the cleaning lady nor I do Windows, I blew away the Win partition, therefore I get no grub at bootup.
                2. Run sudo apt-get update, and sudo apt-get upgrade, then sudo apt-get fglrx (or click on the graphical thingy that asks if you want to activate ATI's proprietary video drivers).*
                3. If you want wireless, you have to follow the instructions posted by Justin and referenced at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Realtek%208172.**
                4. Reboot (you may have to do this after previous steps)
                5. Install plasma-desktop (and/or plasma-netbook) via aptitude or synaptic or your favorite package manager
                6. Because I was gun-shy after needing to completely wipe and reinstall kubuntu so many times when it hung on starting services, I kept gdm as the default login manager. I do not know for sure if the kernel updates cleared up the issues with kdm or fglrx or what, but you may want to do this just to be safe. Reboot and at the login manager, choose the "kde" session.
                7. You may need to repeat Step 3 to get your wireless card back online. Documentation says that it's only necessary after kernel updates, but I found I needed to repeat the step after adding KDE.**
                8. Run KDE a few times by loading the session from the gnome login screen until you have tweaked your powersave settings and tried out a few things to make sure your system doesn't hang. While this is the setup, you can't suspend, reboot, or shutdown from KDE. You can only logout to the gnome login and from there you may shut down, reboot, or suspend.
                9. When you are comfortable and KDE seems stable, then you may run sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm and select kdm as your default login manager and reboot.

*Between the LiveCD release kernel and the present one (as of 18 May 2010), the kernel patches repaired a bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/535653 that caused a hard freeze any time you unplugged the AC power or let the machine suspend from inactivity. The kernel has since repaired this bug as far as I can tell. But as a caveat, I have tweaked my powersave settings through System Settings. And the wireless can still be flaky if you've let your system fall asleep too many times without logging out or suspending intentionally.

**I still find that wireless can be spotty because something in the way the wireless card takes cues from one of the powersave suspend settings can put the card to sleep, but wake it up with the old drivers. I don't know enough about the hardware to do more than grunt and reboot, but rebooting has been successful in reactivating the updated drivers and getting the card functional again. Right now, I'm trying to keep the system from going into suspend through powersave.

I hope this rather long post can help someone else who may be having problems with the Thinkpad x100e.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]Kubuntu hangs on USB LiveCD & Bootup when starting Services

Nice write up. I'm sure this will aid others.

Comment

Working...
                  X