This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade crash.

I was using Kubuntu Karmic without problem. A message came up asking if I wanted to upgrade to Lucid Lynx. I did the upgrade. What a mistake. After rebooting, Kubuntu wouldn't come up. It then dumped me into the terminal mode when I found to my horror that my keyboard would only send escape codes. This made it impossible for me to log in. I then downloaded the cd iso. Booting in trial mode, it came up splitting my screen into three parts with mouse access unusable. Booting in repair mode, my keyboard gets disabled except for ctrl codes. It tells me that repairs can be made, but it won't let me answer yes, only ctrl-y which causes the repairs to abort. Is it possible to reinstall Karmic so as to get my data back until Lucid works properly?

Re: Upgrade crash.

Has nobody had this problem before? I have an HP Pavillion 6700 notebook with a Turion x2 TL-60. Even the netbook and 32 bit desktop live CDs crash. Is there anything short of finding a different distribution that I can do?

Comment

It sounds like a video display problem. My quick look at HP's data indicates that laptop came with either a Nvidia or an Intel GPU -- which one does yours have?

Are you saying that a 10.04 Live CD, when booted, will end up in a crash? Have you tried F6 and various boot options, like "vga=785", "noacpi", etc.?

Comment

I have the NVIDIA card. I'll try these boot options and see if that helps. Thanks.

Comment

The boot options don't seem to work. I can't find where to enter vga=785. I still have a divided screen. I never had this problem with the previous distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by larryg322
            The boot options don't seem to work. I can't find where to enter vga=785.
            When, from the LiveCD initial menu, press F6 to edit the boot kernel line. Arrow to the end of that line and add (type) vga=785
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

vga=785 doesn't work either. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Previous versions of (k)ubuntu worked fine both on install and running. What changes were made to cause this problem?

Comment

On the LiveCD, there is a Function Key that allows you to select a safe graphics boot mode (VESA). Have you tried that? What needs to be confirmed, is if you can boot to a working desktop at all, even if the resolution isn't optimal.

As to 'what changes were made", for Kubuntu 10.04, a LOT.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X