X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slow after upgrade: Anyone else?

Dear Dibl,

Thanks for your reply.

I do understand from all the previous discussions that the partition is running out of space after the upgrade from 9.04 to 10.04 in my computer. But in the circumstances is there a was to resolve the issue without going in for reformat of the system? Is it possible to delete some of the programs or processes within the Kubuntu which may be unnecessary for my use? I am NOT A DEVELOPER and I don't intend to learn anything new related to computers. In fact, I find it confusing when I read some of the Kubuntu documentation too basically because when I reach somewhere in the middle, I forget what has been said in the beginning. I want this computer to be capable of giving me three major services as follows.

Firstly, surf the net (mostly look at mails and very rarely go and search for something else),
    Secondly, be capable of playing movies and songs (Dragon & Amarok Players)
    Thirdly, see, edit and save documents (word, power point, excel) created using MS Office and pdf.

I am prepared to delete anything which is not necessary for the above purposes from this computer. Can someone please guide me on what all can be deleted to create some extra space in the partition so that my computer speeds up? And most importantly, I also need the exact procedure to do it please.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Your error message seems to be related to /home only -- is that true? Do you have your /home directory on a different partition than the rest of Kubuntu? If that is the case, then all you need to do is delete enough data files to increase the free space above 5%. (although this seems like a very temporary "solution" -- you really need a bigger partition or another hard drive).

Comment

Do some 'basic' housecleaning. Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get clean
        This will remove any downloaded .deb packages the package cache directories. These all reside on root's partition.

Then, while still in the console, type:
        Code:
        sudo updatedb
        This will update the database used by the locate command.

Finally, while still in the console, type:
        Code:
        clear && df -hT
        Copy and paste the output so we can evalute the space stats on your system.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for all your replies/responses to my queries. Based on the replies that I received from everyone, I thought it best to re-install Kubuntu 10.04 (or later version) afresh. So, I went into the site http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download and downloaded the ISO image Desktop CD, 32 Bit using bit torrent. Thereafter, burnt it into a CD.

While trying to boot through this CD, I am facing a new problem. That is, after the system boots through the CD, in the choices that appear, There is no choice of INSTALL KUBUNTU. Can someone tell me what I can do now?

Comment

it will show the options, but now the install or live-cd option comes up in the next step:
            Check out these screenshots for how it should look:
            http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...-kubuntu-10.10

Comment

Also, although it might be a little late for your situation, if you already know you intend to install the OS (as opposed to evaluating it via a Live CD), then you should consider burning the "Desktop Alternate" CD, which includes more packages, and which takes you directly to the installation routine.

Comment

Dear friends,

Thank you very much. Based on the screen shots available at the link provided by claydoh, I continued with the installation. Nearly 15 minutes after selecting start kubuntu, I got some error message saying some files are missing. Either a problem with the download of the iso image or copying the image on to the CD!!!!! Anyway, I guess the choice now is only to download and burn the CD once again??

Since I do not know anything about the text commands in LInux, I think I would find it confusing to use the text based installer, which is the format of Desktop Alternate CD. I found the following explanation out there at the download site: The text based alternate installer can be downloaded from the various download methods above. This installation CD is suited for computers unable to run the graphical desktop based installation, either because their computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the live CD or because their computer requires configuration after the installation is complete in order to use the desktop. The alternate installer includes advanced features such as LVM support.

The fact that the alternate CD has more optional programs, tempts me to try and use such a CD for the job. But during installation, if I get stuck with that alternate CD at some place, I guess I will be wasting too much time to find out the correct commands to be given? And, if I use this CD for installation, will I be able to get the GUI based desktop to open always as default and use the system in GUI mode? During installation, I also need to erase data on a partition (format it) for which, unless the GUI based display is there, I am sure I will be confused. And then, the GRUB with the choice to open Win-XP when required, should be there too during every start-up of the system.

Comment

bai.ganga:
                  we need to keep these separate threads together, as they are on the same subject. it may get hard to follow. Please pick one Topic, and stick with that one. I suggest your How to Install Kubuntu one
                  I dont want to merge these 2 as this one here is on a different problem.,

Having said that, the alternate cd does NOT contain any extra software. it DOES provide for extra install options, low-ram installs, etc
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...s#Get%20Ubuntu
                  http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu#deskaltserv

The text installer is not difficult to use. it is very good, actually. The partitioning section, however, can seem daunting if you are unsure of how your drive is set up. But noting is written to the disk until you say OK.

now lets move over to the other thread

Comment

Working...
                  X