This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set time automatically

I did an upgrade to 10.4 and it went well. However, if I use either right click on the clock or execute System Settings I cannot set my clock to automatically get the time from the time servers. I select the automatic feature, press apply, enter my password, the screen goes grey for several seconds and comes back with the feature now unchecked.

Do I have an ownership issue someplace?

TIA
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: Set time automatically

Works here in my 10.04. At least, I checked the Set time and date automatically, provided my password, and a few seconds later, it was set. The check mark remains, and the clock adjusted itself a bit. I'll have to see if this 'sticks' on a reboot.

What version of KDE are you running?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm running KDE 4.4.2. It worked fine under 9.10 and the upgrade seemed to go clean. I even tried running systemsettings out of a terminal under sudo and it reacted the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Calgarian
        I even tried running systemsettings out of a terminal under sudo and it reacted the same way.
        Please say you meant kdesudo. Never launch a GUI application from the console using sudo. That is a very good way to bork your system.

Upgrades "don't always" end up with an installation of packages that one gets with a fresh install of the newer OS. What groups do you belong to?

Comment

I did use sudo in a terminal. I had tried kdesudo quite a while ago and it didn't work. I got into the habit of using sudo. I'll change that habit now.

I retried with kdesudo systemsettings and got the same result.

I am in groups: adm, dialout, cdrom, plugdev, lpadmin, admin, and sambashare and my own group.

Comment

Try, from a console:
            Code:
            kcmshell4 clock
            This launches the Date and time settings directly as root. See if it makes any difference.

Comment

Extremely interesting: I used the kcmshell4 clock command in a console and I had to do it twice, but it now shows that I am using the north-american pool on automatic. However, a right click on the clock or selecting system settings and going to date & time has the automatic feature "not checked". Now I'm not sure if it is or isn't set to automatic time?

Comment

Working...
              X