This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE doesn't boot up

I'm new to Linux and had KUbuntu 9.1 installed on my pc. I upgraded to 10 through the systems upgrade mechanism which seemed to go ok but now, when it boots up, I get an error about some desktop theme that it can't find and then gives the Linux DOS login prompt. When I log in, all I get is the DOS prompt. How do I get the KDE to come back up?

Re: KDE doesn't boot up

Type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    If you have an active network connection, the commands will:
    1) update the package cache
    2) attempt to configure any partially configured packages.

Assuming that does occur, then reboot:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    and log back in.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That didn't work. I posted this to another thread.

Since I upgraded to 10, at boot up when GUI starts, I get an error message "Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/themes/oxygen-air. Then when I click the Ok button, it takes me tty1 login. I can log in and then run "startx" and the KDE will start. I'm not sure what I need to edit so that the system will boot up into the KDE. I'm new to linux so I'm not sure what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I guess I need to know what needs edited so that it will boot up into the KDE.

Comment

Once you have gotten into your Desktop, then go to System Settings > Appearance > Workspace and select a Theme to use. Your problem is that the Oxygen Theme is *expected* to be there, and it isn't. Or, from there, click on the Get New Theme... button and get Oxygen.

Comment

I went into Workspace and selected another theme and it was fine after that. Thanks for the help.

Comment

That's what we're here for.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KDE doesn't boot up

So you did an upgrade and found some files that should be present weren't. That is suspicious. It suggests that the upgrade did not go smoothly. It makes one wonder what other apps my be negatively affected.

You might want to open a Konsole and issue

sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get upgrade

and when those are finished

sudo apt-get -f install

When that finishes (and you've done everything suggested, if it suggests anything) then open Synaptic and reinstall kubuntu-desktop. If anything is missing in your DE environment that should pull it in and install it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X