This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Being asked for password when logging in

This might be the same issue as this thread, but I think it's not so I made a different topic...

Basically, whenever I log in I get two windows with "Please enter your password to use this device". However I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with disks. Even if I click "cancel" on both I have access to all hard drives on my computer and even when I removed the unnecessary ones from fstab the windows still appeared.

If they're not about disks, what could they be about? And how do I stop it happening?

Re: Being asked for password when logging in

This post is very similar and I have seen another post also similar. No replies yet (Except me). Let's keep hoping someone clever can help.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3111783.0

Comment

Does this happen if you swich to starting an empty session?:
      System Settings>Advanced>Session Management>Always Start Empty Session

Comment

I tried that once and the windows still appeared, but I'll try it again once I get home.

Also, this info might help: when I started using 10.04 (it was still in the Beta2 phase) there was initially only one such window. The second started appearing some time later. I did a full reinstall once 10.04 final was released (but keeping /home) and two began appearing immediately.

Comment

I'm running Ubuntu Lucid, not Kubuntu, and I had the same problem. In "Startup Applications" there is an entry for "Disk Notifications". This app is there to warn you when your disks are getting full. I don't need that. When I turned that off, I no longer got that popup asking for my password at startup. I'm sure there must be a similar setting in KDE, so find it and disable it and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion, I will try when I get home in the morning (Night Shift)

Comment

I Had the exact same problem. I am using a couple of hard drives on my system and dual boot O/S s so what happens is one log in it require permission to access these drives.
              I fixed it by
              Settings >system settings>Advanced>Removable Devices > Ticked enable automatic mounting of removable devices, Ticked Automatically mount removable media when attached and in the Device Over rides have nothing checked. The last step prevents them automatically mounting and requiring kde sudo passwords.

Comment

Cool, I am just about to "Knock Off" from work, I'll try it tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the info, I'll post back if that works.

Comment

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Nor did disabling the automatic mount entirely.
                  EDIT: However, enabling it and disabling "Mount all removable media at login" did the trick!

Comment

Hey Rovernaught,
                    That worked well. Now I only need to sign in for KDEWAllet, which I can live with. Now when I go to the file browser and click on one of my other drives, it mounts anyway. My setup is like yours ............. Dual boot, 3 drives.
                    Settings >system settings>Advanced>Removable Devices > Ticked enable automatic mounting of removable devices, Ticked Automatically mount removable media when attached and in the Device Over rides have nothing checked. The last step prevents them automatically mounting and requiring kde sudo passwords.
                    Thanks to all who participated in this thread

Comment

Can someone mark this thread as [Solved]. It seems several people have now got the system behaving more nicely.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Being asked for password when logging in

Done, though I wouldn't really consider it solved until people can automount drives at login without being asked for unneeded passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by zalbor
                          Done, though I wouldn't really consider it solved until people can automount drives at login without being asked for unneeded passwords.
                          That can be done with fstab.

Comment

I found the easy way totally newbie friendly at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131 ,
                            I used pysdm GUI for fstab , It is easy.. just use default option.. I think better do not disturb your primary boot hd..
                            no more password at startup

Comment

Working...
                            X