X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep and Hibernate do not work

Hi,

Been having issues with getting my Kubuntu to sleep and hibernate. When I try to do either, the pointer just usually hangs and does nothing or it goes to a black screen and then just hangs. I have to hold the off button on my laptop in both cases to reboot.

I spoke to a guy who knew quite a lot about linux, and he said linux usually isn't very good at handling the power supply ect. on computers, and he told me just to shut it down all the time, but this is very annoying since I have to load all my work back up!

This common with an easy fix? Thank you!!

Re: Sleep and Hibernate do not work

Laptop or Desktop?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jamesa00789
      I have to hold the off button on my laptop in both cases to reboot.
      Originally posted by Snowhog
      Laptop or Desktop?
      Laptop!! Shutting down all my apps each time is really annoying. Cheers!!!

Comment

Duh. :P Well, I am not 100% satisfied with my new glasses anyway, so ....

Should have seen that. What make/model of laptop? Are you running KDE 4.4.2 or have you updated to 4.4.3?

Comment

I have installed the latest version of kubuntu 10.04, I upgraded (yes upgraded) from windows vista and deleted the vista partition. I still have the vista backup partition, just in cases.

Any tips would be grand, thanks!

Edit: I think the update changed a few things to do with the power. Now my laptop sleeps fine but on awake I just get a black screen and it does nothing.

It also disables network-manager so I have to do the following to get my internet working again.

Code:
          james@James-Laptop:/var/lib/NetworkManager$ sudo service network-manager stop
          james@James-Laptop:/var/lib/NetworkManager$ sudo rm NetworkManager.state
          james@James-Laptop:/var/lib/NetworkManager$ sudo service network-manager start

Comment

Same problem here..

Asus mv51r
            Kubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04
            Dual boot with vista, although when i upgraded from karmic it rooted my boot and i had to wipe my kubuntu partiton and re install, and cant get back into vista since then..

all my power management profiles are set to "suspend to disk"

Suspending to ram requires restarting the whole computer and i have to go through grub again but loads back into whatever state it was in before, skipping the login procedure.. is that normal? i never tried it in karmic.
            Even though i have triple checked my settings, sometimes when i push the power button it suspends to ram?

One in 5 times when i close the lid it will freeze the screen will go blank but stay lit, the fan speeds up and the computer is frozen.. only thing that will stop it is if i hold the power button down to turn it off.
            But the other times it will work properly.

Its only been doing it since the upgrade.

Comment

should also mention that it disables my networking under "/var/lib/Networking/Networking.state" to false..

Comment

Same problem here using suspend on a Desktop.
                By the way how do I upgrade to 4.4.3, its not in the Repos yet?

Comment

Search before you ask.

HOWTO: Add KDE 4.4.3 PPA

Comment

Is there a fix for this or is this a bug? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X