This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh install of Lucid (i386 alternate CD) using ext4 freezes

I downloaded the latest LL i386 alternate CD image, checked the MD5sum, it matched and burned it with K3B (which I've used many times to burn images).

Installation went without any problems, including removal of CD and reboot, poweroff, poweron, blank screen, waiting, nothing, trying all possible combinations, only poweroff works. Wait, poweron, the appearance of system loading, blank screen, nothing. I'm single booting using 100% of the hard disk, three partitions, /,/home and swap, the first two ext4 (which worked with metamorphose 2.0)

Any ideas?
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Re: Fresh install of Lucid (i386 alternate CD) using ext4 freezes

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here and I have little experience with linux but have exactly the same problem. I was on Karmic Koala and tried to upgrade to Lucid Lynx on the GUI, getting a complete download but a fail, so when I tryed to reboot the system, it would show a blank screen after the splash screen.
    From console, I tried to finish the upgrade using

dpkg --configure -a
    apt-get update
    apt-get -f install
    apt-get dist-upgrade

untill I got that everything was allright.

Then when I rebooted, I even didn't get the splash screen, just after the GRUB I got a blank screen.

So I tried a fresh install, with the same result.

Any help?

I don't want to go back to karmic koala...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc

Any ideas?
      Yes, an experiment.

When you boot it, and the indications of hard drive activity are finished, hold down the Alt and SysRq keys, and press R-S-E-I-U-B in sequence. I think it will reboot. If it does, then the problem is strictly a video/framebuffer problem, or something closely related to that like an ACPI issue. Somewhere on this forum, and also on Ubuntu Forums, are threads on "Lucid boots to black screen" -- there are solutions there.

Comment

dible is possible referring to this problem & solution:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111379.0

Now this is an Intel video only problem so YMMV.

Comment

Thank you guys, it was because of my Intel video graphics card.

Teunis, I found the solution on the topic you redirected me too. Thank you very much for the help

Comment

Working...
          X