X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.4 broke my samba and apache

First off I have to say that I really like the new desktop with 10.4

Problem is I can't access my samba shares from the network. I use the kubuntu box as a server and web development machine and all was well prior to upgrade this morning. I selected to "keep" the existing files pertaining to configuration when prompted. The Samba shares on the kubuntu machine don't seem to exist on the windows network. I can however see the Samba server when I "view all work-group computers" from the windows machines. When I click it it says I don't have permissions.

Also Apache seems to be working as I can browse to it's default website but when I attempt going to any of the ~'ed user name sites I get prompted to download the file ~[username]

Any suggestions welcome

Scott

Re: 10.4 broke my samba and apache

Update....

OK, With Samba I had been using GADMIN-SAMBA for management and now that doesn't seem to be working. It won't turn on or off the Samba Server. I opened a terminal window and issued a sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart and it returned "File not found" I went to init.d and saw the file smbd so I replaced "samba" with "smbd" and was informed that restarting was no longer supported and go to the "Services" manager and start/stop manually. Services manager doesn't have any links pertaining to Samba OR Apache so now what? How do yo start and stop services and what do I do about Samba. I rely on my network shares pretty heavily on a daily basis and need resolution to the problem as soon a possible.

Comment

Nothing from anybody?

The recent upgrade has rendered this computer useless and I've lost everything. There has to be someone out there that can help!

Comment

Have you installed smb4k and attempted to use it to adjust your samba settings?

Also, the "new" service start command goes like this:

Code:
        sudo service samba start
        (or "stop")

Comment

Actually the smb.comf file was totally corrupted and I have fixed samba. I can not seem to figure out why the apache web server will not work anymore. Whenever I try browsing to a page on my server, be it php or html, I get a pop-up that tells me I have chosen to open a page of type phtml from the server, what should firefox do, open with or save.

Comment

Working...
          X