This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub error 17?

Okay, I had upgraded from 9.10 on this Dell Inspiron 1521 and finally got it all working. Now I was just working in Opera and Opera locked up. I couldn't close Opera. I tried a couple other things from the main menu and then the whole computer locked up. I couldn't do anything but turn it off. Now when I try to reboot it, I get Grub Error 17. I booted the Kubuntu 9.10 Live CD and looked at my disk drive and the partition on which I had Kubuntu loaded says that it is unknown. I have tried running fsck and reiserfsck ( I don't remember what file system it was) and all I am told is that the superblock is bad. I've never had this happen before. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to recover from this or am I hosed? I hate to do a fresh install without trying to recover my data.

Re: Grub error 17?

What to do if you have a bad ext3 superblock
    http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eherma...xt3_superblock
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Grub error 17 and Grub error 15, the most common grub error messages
      http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.co...-debianubuntu/

Comment

When I try the command dumpe -h /dev/hda6, It just complains about the bad superblock.
        When I tried reordering the partition table that part worked but when I tried to install grub, the root (hd0,4) command failed say it was an unknown file system. The command used hd0,4 because the reordering moved what had been sda6 to sda5.

I am thinking I am going to have to reformat and do a fresh install. Now the question is, do I put the good old reliable 9.10 on it, or do I try a fresh install of 10.04?

Comment

I would go with Lucid as it is an LTS version. well? that & I like it! lol
          but thats just my opinion...

Comment

For me, the 'fresh' installation of Lucid 10.04 was a good move. It has been the best 'new' install of a Kubuntu OS I've tried so far, and I started with Edgy Eft 6.10. I made it my 'main' Kubuntu OS the same day I installed it.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was on a trip so I didn't get around to this until now. I tried all kinds of things to resurrect my bad partition but finally gave up. I made an image of it just in case I want to try some more later. Now I have reformated and install 10.04 as a fresh install. It seems to be working fine so far.

Comment

Working...
              X