Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Upgrading from Kubuntu 9.10 installs Ubuntu 10.04???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Upgrading from Kubuntu 9.10 installs Ubuntu 10.04???

Hi,

Sorry if these are dumb questions -- I've been using Kubuntu for a while (since 8.04 I think) but still consider myself a bit of a newbie.

I just did what seemed a really smooth upgrade from Kubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 (there was an upgrade notification in the panel/taskbar which I just followed, and it went through very smoothly).

However, I notice a few oddities:

1 - When I boot, it shows the new purple Ubuntu splash screen, not Kubuntu

2 - It looks like my system has become Ubuntu, not Kubuntu

When I run
    Code:
    uname -a
    I get this:
    Code:
    Linux my-box-name 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    (Is that right that it says Ubuntu, not Kubuntu)

When I do
    Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    I get this:
    Code:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS \n \l
    Should that not say Kubuntu?

3 - I don't seem to be using the latest kernel

When I look in /boot I see (amongst lots of others) these kernels recently added:
    Code:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7.1M 2010-05-02 17:18 initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7.6M 2010-05-02 17:25 initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
    As you can see in the uname -a output above, it is running the 2.6.31 kernel, not .32.

When I look in menu.lst I don't see an entry for 2.6.32. I ran a grub update and it said it detected .32 but it never added it to the menu.lst. So, it always boots with the .31 kernel.

I can't remember where it is anymore, but the plymouth directory showed it was using the Ubuntu boot splash screen not a Kubuntu one, but it wasn't clear to me what the correct procedure to change it was.

Things is, my Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.04 is running really smoothly (Xorg is at least 7.5 which makes my window effects a lot smoother!), so I don't want to change things too much, but it would be nice to have the correct splash screen and maybe try the correct kernel!

As a beginner, any tips for the safest way to sort this out?

Re: Upgrading from Kubuntu 9.10 installs Ubuntu 10.04

Hi,
    Upgrades can be "difficult"

Have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list

do you have lucid?
    like:
    If so open a terminal and then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    This will update your system to the latest version / state.

bytw I always use that for updating/upgrading.

Let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for such a speedy response! Yeah, the sources.list looks correct from what I can tell.

I ran the update and dist-update and it downloaded these two:

Code:
      The following packages will be upgraded:
       update-manager-core update-manager-kde
      2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Didn't notice anything happen after than (ran kpackagekit and sudo apt-get update again just to be sure).

I do think a distribution upgrade was done when I first did it, because it did report 10.04 on my system (but just that it was showing ubuntu on the splash screens and in the uname output, not kubuntu, though I am running KDE.)

Any thoughts on why the kernel was not added to the grub boot menu?

Comment

fintan@fintanws2:~$ sudo update-grub
        [sudo] password for fintan:
        Generating grub.cfg ...
        Found background image: ethais.tga
        Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
        Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
        Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-20-generic
        Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-20-generic
        Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-19-generic
        Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-19-generic
        Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
        Found Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (10.04) on /dev/sda8
        Found Ubuntu 9.10 (9.10) on /dev/sdb6
        done
        fintan@fintanws2:~$
        Hmm....grub issue?

have a look in /lib/plymouth/themes
        do you have a kubuntu-logo folder?

I don't use kpakage, I use synaptic (much more stable)
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        and you will find it in K->system

Open it up and do a search for plymouth.
        if plymouth-kubuntu-logo is not installed do it from there.

You might have to edit with
        Code:
        kdesudo-kate
        (from alt+f2):
        /lib/plymouth/themes/plymouth.default to point to kubuntu-logo.

It should look like this:
        [Plymouth Theme]
        Name=Kubuntu Logo
        Description=A theme that features a blank background with a logo.
        ModuleName=script

[script]
        ImageDir=/lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-logo
        ScriptFile=/lib/plymouth/themes/blanco/kubuntu-logo.script

Report back and let us know.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for your speedy response again!

Yeah, I just did another grub-update and got this (same as when I tried before)

Code:
          Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
          Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
          Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
          Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
          Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
          So it finds the .32 kernel, but menu.lst never seems to get updated with it... (Doing grep 32 /boot/grub/menu.lst finds nothing). Maybe a Grub issue as you say...

Regarding Plymouth:

I already seem to have it:

Code:
          user@machine:/lib/plymouth/themes$ ls -al
          total 20
          drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2010-05-02 17:22 .
          drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2010-05-02 17:12 ..
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  34 2010-05-02 17:22 default.plymouth -> /etc/alternatives/default.plymouth
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-05-02 16:48 details
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-05-02 17:12 kubuntu-logo
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  31 2010-05-02 17:16 text.plymouth -> /etc/alternatives/text.plymouth
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-05-02 17:05 ubuntu-text

user@machine:/lib/plymouth/themes$ more /etc/alternatives/default.plymouth 
          [Plymouth Theme]
          Name=Kubuntu Logo
          Description=A theme that features a blank background with a logo.
          ModuleName=script

[script]
          ImageDir=/lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-logo
          ScriptFile=/lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-logo/kubuntu-logo.script

user@machine:/lib/plymouth/themes$ more /etc/alternatives/text.plymouth 
          [Plymouth Theme]
          Name=Ubuntu Text
          Description=Text mode theme based on ubuntu-logo theme
          ModuleName=ubuntu-text
          It looks to me that kubuntu is default (and the images in the ImageDir are indeed Kubuntu), yet I don't see that as the boot splash. I don't know if text.plymouth is being used in preference to default.plymouth

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: Upgrading from Kubuntu 9.10 installs Ubuntu 10.04

Found the solution. Your hint that it may be a grub issue led me to google that specifically (I kept googling ubuntu related stuff prior to that with little luck).

I found this issue:
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lu...ub/+bug/470490

One of the commenters in there noted that if the grub menu list had been manually modified in the past then it doesn't get updated during a distribution upgrade. I must have updated it manually in the past, but can't remember.

So, I did what it said: removed the menu.lst (after backing up) and ran sudo upgrade-grub so it created a brand new one, and this time it had the .32 kernel in it.

I rebooted and not only did it boot the latest kernel now, but the splash screen was now correctly Kubuntu, not Ubuntu! (Haven't shut down yet, but assuming that should also show kubuntu instead of ubuntu). Not sure how that is related, but I am happy enough. The kubuntu splash resolution is probably a bit low or stretched for my 1900x1200 screen size, but I will live with that. It is cleaner than earlier versions!

So far so good (hopefully I won't regret typing that )

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrading from Kubuntu 9.10 installs Ubuntu 10.04

I had same problem. I think the developers put out a Kubuntu update notice that really gets you Ubuntu, which, I think, looks for the Gnome desktop instead of KDE. Here's what worked for me:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Then reboot.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion in this thread on several topics:

1) Grub
                If you installed Kubuntu Karmic as a fresh install, then upgraded it to Lucid - You're using GRUB2 aka GRUB-PC. If you installed Jaunty, then upgraded to Karmic you MAY be using the old grub aka grub-legacy OR grub-pc depending on if you upgraded it or not. If your using the command line "update-grub" (not "grub-update") then your updating grub-pc version 1.97 or 1.98.

There is no menu.lst file for grub-pc, it doesn't exist. The config file the boot menu loads from is /boot/grub/grub.cfg and is not intended to be edited by users. There are many posts and web-pages on how to edit grub-pc.

If you've kept grub-legacy and still boot with it, that's OK - but update-grub won't do anything for you.

When they began offering grub-pc for testing - you could install it and chainload to it from grub-legacy. I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner user or even a moderately experienced one. I never tried this technique so I can't speak to it.

If your using "grub-update" then it appears you're using a early release version of grub-pc. You probably should upgrade to the latest version as there have been a lot of bug fixes. You can tell which version by typing "grub-probe --version" in a terminal.

2) Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu
                All versions of Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Edubuntu et. al. ad nausium) ARE Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the under lying distribution we are all using. The difference is by installing kubuntu-desktop you are installing the kde desktop and the kde set of tools and utilities, rather than the gnome desktop and tools which is the ubuntu default. Think of it like layers - Ubuntu is the base and gnome, kde, xfce or which ever desktop manager you choose is the pretty top layer. I think there were some issues with doing the upgrade rather than a clean install with the splash screens, especially if you used a beta release.

As far as the plymouth splash screens there are lots of issues with it - it's rather new for public use.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi. Thanks for those clarifications. I owe a clarification myself:

Earlier I mentioned the steps I took and said I ran sudo upgrade-grub. That should have read sudo update-grub.

When I ran that it created a new menu.lst file (because I moved the original to a backup).

From that launchpad link I gave it implied that upgrading to 10.04 from 9.10 which itself was an upgrade from an earlier version would mean the menu.lst file would not get updated and I'd have to recreate it. So running update-grub did the trick. Looking at my package list I see I have grub-pc 1.98, but it did create that new menu.lst file which then contained the .32 version of the kernel which I now do boot with. I don't see /boot/grub/grub.cfg that you mentioned...

Comment

I suspect the menu.lst configuration is due to the upgrade path rather than a clean install. Open a terminal and type

cat /usr/sbin/update-grub

I suspect you'll see

Code:
                    #!/bin/sh -e
                    exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/menu.lst "$@"
                    rather than

Code:
                    #!/bin/sh -e
                    exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
                    which is what mine says - just for interest - post what you find.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

I don't have a 2-line file like yours -- mine is some 40K in size...

Doing grep grub-mkconfig /usr/sbin/update-grub didn't find anything...

Yes, I did an upgrade rather than full install. Apparently that means the menu.lst file doesn't get updated automatically, even though the new kernel gets added on to the system.

Comment

Working...
                      X