X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.04 Setup any printer

I have a fresh install of 10.04 64bit

I tried to setup my printer (Brother MFC-8820D) but i'm lost on the first steps.

'System Settings' > 'Printer Configuration'

I have two options in the left side: New printer and Server Settings.

Server Settings is all greyed out
    New Printer give two options, New Network Printer and New printer Class.

I try 'New network Printer'
    It asks for 'Enter Device URI'

I tried lpd://[ip address of printer]/binary_p1

but the wizard waits about 1 min then times out with no further result.

I'm guessing that CUPs isn't installed? If that's true, how do I go about doing that?

Re: 10.04 Setup any printer

Please review #13 on the FAQs in my signature.

Comment

I emphatically agree with Dibl's remark on the KDE printer manager utility. Wasted countless time, effort and frustration on that.

Using 'localhost' is the way to go. Ever since I read Dibl's FAQ and started using it, there are no more problems with printer installation.
      I have a Canon Multiprint installed that I could not get to work with the KDE utility. It installed right away with 'localhost'. Several drivers are available, even Gutenprint drivers.

Give it a try, it is well worth it.

Turboprint used to be the other foolproof solution. But they upgraded their drivers and now are charging even for customers that had bought a previous version. Not a good decision in my opinion. I quit using their product over that move.

But who needs their drivers when you can get 'localhost' to set the printer up for you.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but when pointing a browser to localhost:631 there is no CUPs interface. If i do a netstat I don't see anything running on that port.

Should CUPS be running here by default on 10.04? Do I need to enable/install something? I was assuming CUPs would already be running....

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
          Thanks for the reply, but when pointing a browser to localhost:631 there is no CUPs interface. If i do a netstat I don't see anything running on that port.

Should CUPS be running here by default on 10.04?
          Hmmmmm. Yes, AFAIK CUPS is installed by default, and the daemon runs. I don't remember ever touching anything to enable it on 10.04. However:

Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-driver-gutenprint
          should put you in business.

Comment

Working...
          X