This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Flash player has gone moody on me

Post installation of Lucid, flash didn't work in Firefox. Upgraded to latest player and it worked okay the rest of the day. Next morning, rebooted, again Flash doesn't work. In Synaptic I removed Flash and reinstalled - Flash 10 - still getting message to upgrade Flash to 9.0.115.0 or later in Firefox. Removed and reinstalled a few times - still not working. downloaded the .deb file from Adobe. Tried to install, get a message that there is a newer version already installed on the system!

Went to Kpackage (which I STLL hate) and tried to install through there but no deal.

Tried to upgrade through CLE (saw this command on a forum somewhere), but it didn't recognise the command
    Any ideas? Looks like I have to somehow make a link to Firefox, as it is showing the installed version as being 9.0 r48 (??)

I'm only here so often because I'm too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Re: Flash player has gone moody on me

I can't keep track of the package name these days (flashplugin-nonfree? adobe-flashplugin?) but you could try finding it in your package manager and erase (sudo apt-get remove --purge) all traces of it.

While you're at it, remove and purge firefox. Then reinstall both of these (firefox first) and check (by typing aboutlugins in the address bar) your version of Flash.

I've been using the adobe site to install Flash. After installing LL 10.04, Flash seems a bit compromised. It crashes unexpectedly and doesn't run very well graphically. I despise the software; it's a shame that the majority of websites rely on it for multimedia.

Report back if this works for you.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have removed completely and reinstalled as you advised but still have the problem. Just realised I used the 'completely remove' option in package manager and not the sudo apt-get purge option in konsole, so will try that now and see if it works any better. Will report back................and NO! Managed to purge them both but it has had no effect.

It's the only problem I've had with the new distro so far, but it's a big problem if I can't get flash content!

Any more suggestions?

Comment

Did you install Flash from the repository (either flashplugin-installer or kubuntu-restricted-extras)?

Comment

I installed it through synaptic, it was the one that says flash-plugin installer from ubuntu - does that make a difference?

My results when I do aboutlugins in Firefox shows that it now has TWO versions of flash installed.

This:

File: libflashplayer.so
          Version:
          Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48

and this:

File: libflashplayer.so
          Version:
          Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45

Strange thing is that no matter what I do, or what I have installed, I can't get rid of that older version of flash and even when disabled, that one seems to be the one that firefox tries to use for flash websites. I uninstalled and purged both firefox and flash several times last night to absolutely no effect.

Any ideas for what to try next?

Bernie

Comment

in your /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, you can try deleting the flash.so type files and replace it with a link to the proper flash player plugin.
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Thanks rfakhrai,

The delete part I can do easily - the replace part has me worried.

How do I link to the correct one? They both seem to have the same filename. How do I recognise the version?

Bernie

Comment

in your package manager, find the flash that's installed and, in the details of it, it should tell you where it's installed. find that directory and sudo cp the "flashplugin.so" (or something like that) into the firefox plugins directory.

example:
                Code:
                sudo cp <location of flash.so> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Comment

Fixed! Thanks for your advice rfakhrai!
                  I uninstalled and purged everything and then deleted the .so file in usr/lib before reinstalling. When I reinstalled, the new flash just got put there automatically.

Thanks again,

Bernie
                  I&#39;m only here so often because I&#39;m too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Comment

Re: SOLVED - Flash player has gone moody on me

and that's how it should be!

Comment

Working...
                    X