X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a way to downgrade from 10.4 to good old version 9.10

Hi
    A quick disclaimer : I'm not particularly tech savvy either but I recently did a clean install of Kubuntu 10.04 so I might be able to help a bit.
    First off it might be a good idea to make the questions in your last post different threads.

1. installing Flash : if you're running firefox type "aboutlugins" (without the " ") into your url bar just to make sure you don't already have flash installed. if not, have a look at the below links on installing flash on a 64 bit install -- it doesn't look too complicated, but I haven't tried them out so I can't vouch for that.

http://mattrudge.wordpress.com/2010/...-10-04-64-bit/
    http://mattrudge.wordpress.com/2010/...-10-04-64-bit/

2. Where have you installed your /home directory ? Did you install it to it's own partition ?
    if not, I'd suggest that you backup all the files that you do not want to lose. Then you can download and burn off a gparted live disk (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) and repartition your HD, making seperate /, /home and /swap partitions. Then do a clean install fom a Lucid live disk and select the manual partition option. Then you just have to select where you want to place Kubuntu and /home and install Kubuntu.
    Even if you have a seperate /home i'd still suggest making a backup. Otherwise, you can just do a clean install.

3.Kpackagekit has never worked properly for me either. I prefer synaptic. To install synaptic open up a terminal and type :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    That might solve some of your issues with KpackageKit.

Good luck

Comment

thanks a lot
      1flash player is solved
      2yes i install it all to own partion and home directory does this mean I end up with to Kubuntus?
      3 even synaptic given me this
      Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 10.04 _Lucid Linx_ - Release amd64 (20090421.2)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
      Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 10.04 _Lucid Linx_ - Release amd64 (20090421.2)/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
      Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
      Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
      not sure what does this mean

Comment

Originally posted by ccccp
        Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 10.04 _Lucid Linx_ - Release amd64 (20090421.2)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
        The default sources.list file still has the cd-rom repository 'active.' You need to comment it out.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

2yes i install it all to own partion and home directory does this mean I end up with to Kubuntus?
          I'm not sure that I've understood you question / statement. Are you saying that you have a partition for Kubuntu (the OS) and a different partition for /home ?

If so, then the answer is : no, you only have one Kubuntu. / (root) is where Kubuntu (the Operating system) lives. /home is where it saves all your personal files (word docs, mp3s, photos etc.).

Mike

Comment

yes only one partion
            but other problem just arise
            kde network manger just disappear i tried to run sudo apt-get purge network-manager
            this was no help even after restart
            then i try sudo apt-get autoremove
            that remove it all but I looking for way to get it back by using life cd ect
            but no luck so far as nothing install without net I coud not find package for kde network manager to download so big problem.
            Plus just realised my cd disappear too
            no cd0 or under plugged in
            also just for me to get clear LIVE CD and try Kubuntu with out installing same thing?
            I DEFINITELY WAS BETTER OF WITH 9.10
            THANKS FOR HELP AGAIN

Comment

Working...
            X