This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved USB Thumb Drive

When I insert a thumb drive it gets automounted as /media/usb0 and is owned by root. I can read the drive, I can copy FROM the drive, but I am not allowed to copy to the drive. I receive "Access denied unable to write to /media/usb0/file name". If I do this using root, then I am allowed to. I am a member of all groups that I know of that would control access. I have tried CHOWN but it said not allowed on /media/usb0/filename.

How can I have the device auto mounted with correct access rights?

Ps. this started with KDE 4.3.3 I think.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: USB Thumb Drive

I don't have the answer for you to this one, but want to say I had the same exact situation with one of my Kubuntu 10.04 pre-release installs. I don't know why, as three other machines with the same install sequence did not have this issue. Seems strange to me.

I resolved it when I did a fresh install with the newly released Kubuntu 10.04, as I generally do a fresh install at that time, since I usually start testing early on and want a completely clean system when the final is released.

Anyway, you are not alone with the problem and someone will most likely come up with a solution for you.

Regards,
    zenarcher
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

Might be what I experienced, and fixed in my External USB HD/partition ownership issue quirk and fix post.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I followed the directions of changing the ownership using "Root Actions" and it acts like it's doing it (no error message) but the result is the same and the permissions have not changed. This seems like pretty bogus behavior.
        Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Re: Solved USB Thumb Drive

Between KK and LL it looks like my universal solution is to reinstall from scratch. It worked again!

Comment

Working...
          X