This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't login anymore after upgrade 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

It's installed for me so no luck there, and I realized that the xorg.conf is in a new location and I don't think thats the issue.

Comment

Kubuntu 64bit with NVidia card and same problem after upgrade reboot, login screen with mouse but nothing further:

Deleting /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (symlink to old NVidia driver) and xorg.conf and regenerating xorg.conf via nvidia-xconfig resolved this issue.

Comment

Interesting enough if I choose try Kubuntu from the menu on a live cd it doesn't work. If I choose install Kubuntu it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by denied
          Hmm, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but after a fresh install I don't seem to have a xorg.conf file in my X11 folder.
          I'm pretty sure that's standard I've had no (automatically installed) xorg.conf on Kubuntu since 9.04 on at least one machine IIRC - I'm using nvidia proprietary drivers on both my systems. They do both have xorg.conf but one was added completely manually and I can't recall how the other came about but it's pretty minimal (I've a feeling I added it to add the nologo line)!

Comment

Well then I have no idea whats causing it to kick back to the log in screen then, I would have assumed it was something in the xorg.conf but I don't know now. And like I said before, this is after a fresh install. When booting the live cd if I choose Try Kubuntu it wont load either, but if i choose install Kubuntu it works fine and loads the desktop.

Comment

I got the same problem on a fresh install on an EeePC 901. I can login if I select Console Login, and then I can run startx to get the desktop which works Ok. So its some problem with kdm I think. When it fails it gives an error message saying

getpwuid_r() failed due to unknown user Id (0)

So I guess its mis-handling the username somehow

Comment

It is defiantly an issue with KDM, because I installed Ubuntu and it runs fine.

Comment

I had this problem as well. It's a problem with the OpenGL installation. getpwuid_r() has nothing to do with it.

If you start a clean X session with xinit and then run startkde from there, you can probably see what goes wrong (or look in .xsession-errors).

The problem, if I understand this correctly, is that it can't find the libGL.so.1 library because there's no symlink to it. This should probably be fixed in the 'update alternatives' system.

The solution is probably a little different wether you use nvidia, amd/ati or intel.
                  In general, just symlink /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/libGL.so and it should be fine (might be different for nvidia and or amd/ati though).

Let me know how it goes...

Comment

I found libGL.so.1 in the mesa folder under /usr/lib and put a symlink to it in /usr/lib, but it didn't help

The problem is just with the login GUI. If I select the console login option from this GUI I can login in and then start KDE with startx, and it all works. When I try to login from the GUI it pauses for a few seconds then opens a Konsole window but that closes after a second, and displays the getpwuid error on a black screen and then hangs and needs a reboot.

Comment

Working...
                    X