X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't login anymore after upgrade 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

Hi all,
    After what seemed to be a smooth upgrade from Kubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS, I cannot login to the machine (KDE) anymore. I get the graphical login screen, fill out my password and go on. The first time I can see the harddrive icon coming up for a fraction of a second. Then black screen for a second, and I get thrown back to the login screen. Any other attempt gives me the black screen for a second, then throws me back into the KDE login screen. Tried failsafe and all that, but to no avail.
    Hardware = Dell Optiplex with Intel Core 2 + NVidia 8400 graphics card.
    How please can I get access to my KDE again ?

Re: Can't login anymore after upgrade 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

Originally posted by aristide
    Hi all,
    After what seemed to be a smooth upgrade from Kubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS, I cannot login to the machine (KDE) anymore. I get the graphical login screen, fill out my password and go on. The first time I can see the harddrive icon coming up for a fraction of a second. Then black screen for a second, and I get thrown back to the login screen. Any other attempt gives me the black screen for a second, then throws me back into the KDE login screen. Tried failsafe and all that, but to no avail.
    Yep, I got the same issue! Tried apt-get dist-upgrade and all that but no success... what's going on here?
    Also when the login screen comes up, i cam't login immediately, I have to wait about 2min until my USB keyboard and my USB mouse become available/responsible. Seems like the USB drivers get loaded fairly late...
    roN

http://www.inetgate.biz

Comment

From the KDM Login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and perform a console login. Then see how much free space you have left on root ( / ):
      Code:
      df -t
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"Login loop" is #10 on the FAQs in my signature.

If you become convinced that it's not the usual issues, you can always boot a Live CD, then chroot in to the installed system and run updates, dist-upgrade, etc. and probably fix it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          From the KDM Login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and perform a console login. Then see how much free space you have left on root ( / ):
          Code:
          df -t
          That's not the problem, 6.5G available, 66%... other ideas...?
          roN

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            "Login loop" is #10 on the FAQs in my signature.

If you become convinced that it's not the usual issues, you can always boot a Live CD, then chroot in to the installed system and run updates, dist-upgrade, etc. and probably fix it that way.
            Nothing really worked/helped
            I'm now at:
            --- Remove / reinstall kdm and see if that works.
            sudo aptitude remove kdm; then: sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install kdm

But if i uninstalled kdm, it would take 73 packages with it, sholuld i remove those as well?

Thanks,
            Ron
            roN

Comment

just try in terminal : startx
              i hope it's work

Comment

Originally posted by bnorontako
                just try in terminal : startx
                i hope it's work
                Nope, after reinstalling kdm, i hae made a /etc/init.d/kdm start which starts up x on display :0 and startx would do the same, so that's not helping either and i have not gotten any further
                roN

Comment

Many reactions very quickly ; thanks for all the info !
                  In the mean time I have tried pretty much everything that's written in http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097402.0
                  Diskspace is plenty,
                  No files or folders owned by root within my profile,
                  Unfortunately none of the mentioned solutions have worked out so far.

Comment

Well, maybe there was a conflict with some packages or a corrupt file was found somewhere. Have you tried to boot in recovery mode and selected the option that would run dpkg to solve any packaging or package dependencies inconsistency? I had to do that after my screen went black the first time I booted LL.
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Hi Kyonides,
                      Yes, among the many things I tried, this was one of the first.
                      After several more hours of research, trial and error - and with time at a premium - I finally had to thrown in the towel and perform a fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by aristide
                        Hi all,
                        I am also having this problem. The live cd worked fine on this machine but after install I am unable to log in. And this is after a FRESH install.

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but after a fresh install I don't seem to have a xorg.conf file in my X11 folder.

Comment

I tried a sudo Xorg -configure but that didn't seem to do the trick either.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

hey guys i just joined this forum to post this message, I think i solved the problem.

I'd had the exact problem described here, i'd checked drivers, space, ownership, etc and not had any luck. Ii'd seen something similar in the old kde 3.5 when i'd accidentally killed my desktop (normally thru xkill) i used to hit alt+f2 then run "kdesktop". Of course its all change now but i used alt+f2 to open konsole and couldn't find anything called "plasma" or anything like that...

I then noticed when considering reconfiguring some packages as suggested here that kde-base and kde-minimum wer'nt both installed and when i selected them it also marked plasma-desktop!

---- so check that you have plasma-desktop installed! ----

guess they moved it out of another package, i may have installed this current installation by installing ubuntu then installing kde packages which could have caused the trouble

Comment

Working...
                              X