This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.4 Upgrade Disaster -- No keyboard or mouse = no access

Did a dist-upgrade and found the following ...

1. No boot menu.
    My monitor displays "Out of range: 74.6KHz/60.0Hz" so something is setting the graphics too high. No real problem as after time-out the boot proceeds (with tiny text).

2: "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode ... OK"
    Again, no real problem as once I get into the system I can fix that (it's probably my NVidia driver).

3: Major problem: Can't click OK
    Neither keyboard nor mouse respond so I can't proceed! So far I've tried replacing USB gear with PS2 mouse and k/b but still no access. Interestingly, the k/b seems to respond at boot (when I get the "Out of range" message and can't see for sure.) At the moment I'm experimenting with that but would appreciate any other suggestions.

If I could just see to tinker with my boot menu this wouldn't be so hard! How do I update and rebuild grub2 "outside the system" so to speak?

(Currently running via SysRescueCD.)

Re: 10.4 Upgrade Disaster -- No keyboard or mouse = no access

Have you tried booting with a live CD?

It sounds like something didn't detect your hardware properly during the upgrade. If you can get into the system booting with a live CD (maybe system rescue CD can do this) the first thing you need to look at is /boot/grub/grub.cfg, as that is where the configuration for grub is.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: 10.4 Upgrade Disaster -- No keyboard or mouse = no access

I managed to survive this. In fact I even lived to blog the tale. Rather than repeat it all, you can read about my exploits here: http://bit.ly/cwTXxA

Comment

Working...
      X