X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Upgrade to 10.04LTS - No desktop

Hello,

I just upgraded from 9.1 which was working great (but who can resist the distro upgrade button??). Ubuntu work fine, even Kubuntu and KDE seem to work with the exception that the desktop doesn't appear. Skype boots up and I can access my apps using ALT-F2 but I can't figure out how to re-initialise(?; and see) the desktop/plasma workspace

Points of interest:
    - I retained custom headers (at least that's what I seem to remember) during the upgrade
    - All of Ubuntu works great
    - I tried removing plasma-appletsrc & plasmarc (NO LUCK)
    - Splash screen on startup is fine
    - Used the Nvidia config tool to get the graphics looking nice
    - Heck, even the wireless was picked up with passwords - NICE!
    - I can alt-tab between apps - flashy!

Besides lacking a desktop - it's been a flawless upgrade. Smiley

Sorry about the re-post. I'm still not sure how things are filed on this forum.

Any help is appreciated. THANKS.

Re: Upgrade to 10.04LTS - No desktop

I assume you did "upgrade" rather than perform a new install but with /home retained? A further assumption is that in doing so you have upgraded from KDE4.3 to 4.4.

If both are right I think you need to install the package plasma-desktop. There is a slight structure difference between 4.3 and 4.4 that takes place and upgrading for some reason has been known to miss out that vital package.

Install then logout then back in again. My guess is that will sort it. Let us know please.

Ian

Comment

Dear Ian,

sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop

awesome. Fixed it -- looks great.

Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers
      A happy Kubuntu user

Comment

Glad it worked
        Small point, please can you mark your thread as solved as it may help someone else who has got the same issue?

Thanks

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade to 10.04LTS - No desktop

I also have gone through the upgrade process and am having a desktop issue. When booting I get a completely garbled screen with lots of randomly colored blocks. When it gets to the place where I would normally login, I do so in the blind. Everything seems to be going normally but the screen is still all messed up. When it finally finishes booting, I can hit the power button and it starts doing a shutdown, then after a little time it reverts to the normal screen for the user login. At that point, I login and everything comes up fine and it is all running and looks fine. Very strange. Just for the heck of it I tried the sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop command and it reported I had the latest version.

Added by Moderator: cross-posted. See Garbled desktop

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade to 10.04LTS - No desktop

Thanks Ian,
            That solved my proble too.
            Ray

Comment

Originally posted by tweev
              sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
              I did the kubuntu upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 too and for some reason plasma-desktop was missing for me - thankfully I spotted it by looking at the kde packages and what-have-you in synaptic. But this strikes me as a missing dependency somewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X