Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar no longer transparent after upgrade [SOLVED: NVidia proprietary driver]

I just upgraded my 9.04 Jaunty system to 9.10 Karmic, and then to 10.04 Lucid. And it didn't blow up completely. Hooray!

I had to rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the GUI back after the upgrade. X wouldn't start with the old file in place.

I had been using the NVidia proprietary driver on Jaunty. I'm not at all certain what is driving my graphics card since the upgrade, but it definitely isn't NVidia's driver.

But now my pretty translucent task bar has become an ugly grey bar

Can anyone offer some insight?

Edit
    When I first wrote this post I mistakenly believed there would be an obvious and easy fix. I was wrong. That is why there is so little to go on. (Mea culpa!) The details have come out as the thread wore on. See reply #23 for a better rundown of the facts.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Re: Task bar panel thingy no longer transparent after upgrade to Lucid

The obvious - try a different Desktop Theme.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey Snowhog, thanks for replying. I really don't believe the desktop theme is the problem here. I'm actually not getting any transparency on the desktop. For example the wallpaper is not visible through the taskbar.

Edit
      Removed colorful language from snapshot
      Attached Files
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Looks like compositing has been disabled for some reason. Why did Kubuntu disable compositing?
        Attached Files
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Yes, it can be. If the DE Theme you are using doesn't support transparency, the Panel won't be transparent. It looks like you are using the Air Desktop Theme, and Air doesn't support transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
            Looks like compositing has been disabled for some reason. Why did Kubuntu disable compositing?
            Okay, yes, that will cause your problem. What GPU are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Yes, it can be. If the DE Theme you are using doesn't support transparency, the Panel won't be transparent.
              I didn't know that. This KDE4 stuff is more complicated than I thought

It looks like you are using the Air Desktop Theme, and Air doesn't support transparency.
              That's part of what's troubling me. Why did the upgrade process cause my theme to be changed at all? And even if the Kubuntu team thinks it is good to change my theme whenever I upgrade, why would they choose one which doesn't show off compositing?

The graphics card is a BFG Tech GeForce GTX 285.

Code:
              $ lspci | grep VGA
              02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 285] (rev a1)
              $ sudo lshw -C video
              [sudo] password for owner: 
               *-display        
                  description: VGA compatible controller
                  product: GT200b [GeForce GTX 285]
                  vendor: nVidia Corporation
                  physical id: 0
                  bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
                  version: a1
                  width: 64 bits
                  clock: 33MHz
                  capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
                  configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                  resources: irq:16 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff(prefe
              tchable) memory:dc000000-ddffffff ioport:8f00(size=128) memory:dff80000-dfffffff(prefetchable)
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

nVidia Graphics card. Have you checked to see if after the upgrade you are using the propietary driver? Where you using the proprietary driver before the upgrade?

Comment

I had been using the NVidia proprietary driver on Jaunty. I'm not at all certain what is driving my graphics card since the upgrade, but it definitely isn't NVidia's driver.
                  The reason I know nVidia's prorpietary driver is not running is because the nVidia utilities told me so.

How do I find out what is driving my graphics card?
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Re: Taskbar no longer transparent after upgrade to Lucid. Compositing disabled?

If you check System > Additional drivers does it show an nVidia driver available for use?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      System > Additional drivers
                      That doesn't seem to exist on my system. I found something called Hardware Drivers. I launched it. It searched for a short time and reported no proprietary drivers.

Attached Files
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I tried clicking resume compositing and then apply, but nothing happened. There was no indication that I had clicked anything at all.

I created a new user account and logged in with it. No transparency was evident on the desktop so I went into system settings -> desktop effects. The box for enable desktop effects was unchecked (clear). I checkmarked it and clicked the compositing button. An error message appeared and told me to check my X configuration. It was not at all clear from the message what I'm supposed to be checking, especially because I don't even have an xorg.conf file.

I also investigated the documentation for the desktop effects applet in help. Pretty sparse, not much info there.

Snowhog, you mentioned the theme, but I can't even find where to change that. It seems like every part of KDE4 has its own theme settings now, but there isn't a unified tool where I can just set the theme for the whole desktop at once.

So what am I missing here?
                        [me=Telengard]goes off to mess with minecraft for a while[/me]
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Here's the error message I get when I try to enable compositing desktop effects on the new user account.

Attached Files
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I had to rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the GUI back after the upgrade. X wouldn't start with the old file in place.

So you were using the NVidia proprietary driver before the upgrade. An xorg.conf file has to exist for NVidia to utilize. As the old one didn't work after the upgrade, let's take a look at it. Those here using NVidia cards will surely be able to see what's wrong and what needs to be done to get you back into business.

Comment

First thing to try (at a tty console with kdm stopped) would be

Code:
                              sudo nvidia-xconfig
                              to let the driver write a new xorg.conf file. Then

Code:
                              sudo service kdm start
                              and see whether the new configuration will allow desktop effects with compositing.

Comment

Working...
                              X