This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] New graphics card, Kubuntu only boots into a command line now

I've owned an nVidia graphics card for 4 years and I've finally upgraded to a better graphics card, an ATI Radeon HD 6850 to be precise. After a dozen of driver install attempts and a couple of system restores on Windows, it worked perfectly. However, when I try to boot into Kubuntu, it only puts me into a command line.. The login and password I used when the KDE environement worked are valid but I still remain into a command line... which isn't very intuitive.

I have not modified a single bit on my Kubuntu installation before and after removing my old graphics card. Radeon drivers appear to be installed as "man radeon" lists the driver manual (of which I didn't really understand much).

For the moment I am stuck with no usable CD/DVD drive (this ATI card blocks my IDE port), so I haven't tried anything with my installation CD. Even if I would have been able to boot into Kubuntu using the live CD, I have absolutely no idea what to do. Can anyone help me?

Re: New graphics card, Kubuntu only boots into a command line now

Hi Jiinster.

I'm probably not your best bet, but everybody else is probably doing their New Years Eve thing so here goes. What happens when you type "startx"? That's how the GUI is usually started. You may have to rewrite your xorg.conf file to match your new card. It sounds like you may not be comfortable typing, but have a look at it by going:
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    less xorg.conf
    This thread may be useful. Anyway, to start you should try "startx", or perhaps "startkde" and see what that does.

Comment

Look and see if you have the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you do rename or delete it and restart X.

You should get a usable (but not pretty) GUI. Then launch Jockey and install the latest ATI drivers and remove your old nvidia ones.

If the GUI won't start after eliminating xorg.conf, post back (exacly as you can) the error(s) you get when you try and start X.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've tried the "startx" command and it only returned some error jargon, so I proceeded to rename the xorg.conf file. Then startx worked! Everything appears to be working, except for the fact that linux drivers haven't been released yet (I listed the wrong card on my post)! Now it's just a matter of time appearance is acceptable, so I'll live with that for the time being.

Honestly, I didn't expect any answers until later tomorrow, but I won't complain I thank you both for the support, and happy new year!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] New graphics card, Kubuntu only boots into a command line now

Would you identify the card you do have?

Glad that you found a 'workable' solution. Sometimes, 'workable' is the best one can attain - for the moment. As you said, in time, updated drivers will likely be avaiable.

Happy New Year! Welcome to KFN.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X