This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System freezes; Alt-SysRq RSEIUB doesn't work

With the various linux installs that I have messed with, various things have gone wrong and the system has hung up, but ALWAYS (until just recently) I have been able to use Alt-SysRq +RSEIUB to reboot the system. Now, my netbook with Lucid freezes up completely and will not respond to any input whatsoever, not even Alt-SysRq.

Very strange.
    Running Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 32bit on an EeePC netbook (model: 1005HAB).&nbsp; <br /><br />Found the following image online and thought it was funny:<br />

Re: System freezes; Alt-SysRq RSEIUB doesn't work

"These are low level shortcuts that are considered to be used for debugging. Whenever possible, it is recommended to use these instead of doing a hard shutdown (holding power button to shutdown the motherboard). ..."

They must be activated first in a console with
    sudo su -
    echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

or if you wish to have it enabled during boot, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and set kernel.sysrq = 1
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      "These are low level shortcuts that are considered to be used for debugging. Whenever possible, it is recommended to use these instead of doing a hard shutdown (holding power button to shutdown the motherboard). ..."

They must be activated first in a console with
      sudo su -
      echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

or if you wish to have it enabled during boot, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and set kernel.sysrq = 1
      Nope. I checked it with:
      Code:
      tail /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
      and it said "1" (without the quotes)
      Running Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 32bit on an EeePC netbook (model: 1005HAB).&nbsp; <br /><br />Found the following image online and thought it was funny:<br />

Comment

That means a keyboard lockup as well as the mouse. IMO, it is your video driver.
        What's the make and model of your laptop and the video chip?
        lspci in a console should tell you if your install is stable enough to open a console and issue it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X