X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with my HP 1018 printer

Hi there,

recently I have installed the Kubuntu 10.04 LST distro in my laptop and I can't install my HP 1028 printer correctly.

The first time, I plugged the printer in one of the USB ports and the system recognized it, but the printer manager of the Kcontrolpanel said that I need to download a propietary plugin. I tried to print something, but the printer doesn't print anything. I installed the Printer Toolbox application and tried to download and install such plugin, but the installation failed.

Then, I downloaded the foo2zjs driver of http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com and installed that driver but the result is the same, the printer doesn't print anything.

I have always used the opensuse distros and the HP 1018 printer has always worked with the foo2zjs driver, I don't understand why the same printer doesn't work with the kubuntu distro ¿some ideas?.

Thanks.

Re: I need help with my HP 1018 printer

You shouldn't install software not in the repository or recommended by knowledgeable folks in this forum.

I see you had to compile that driver from rkkda.com. In the directory where you compiled it should be an "uninstall.sh" file. Run it to remove that driver and its associated files.

Turn off your printer and unplug it from the computer.

Then, run Synaptic or Muon and install
    hplip
    hpijs
    hpijs-ppds
    foomatic-db-engine

and any dependencies they require or suggestions/recommends they off that you may want.

Plug in the usb cable from the printer and turn on the power to it.

Your printer should be recognized and installed automatically. Run a test print to verify it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: I need help with my HP 1018 printer

Thank you GreyGeek.

I followed the directions that you posted but the printer didn't work. Then I read the directions of http://hplipopensource.com/ and I decided to download and install the hplip for that page. Then, using the hp-tool box I downloaded the firmware and now the printer works.

I think that maybe the hplip of the repos is uncomplete or maybe is compiled with some fault.

Anyway thank you for your prompt response and giving me the idea of using the hlip driver.

Greetings.

Comment

Working...
      X